thread: CEL work around

Dec 2016
    Hood River Oregon USA

CEL work around

How I kink my CEL.
    You can't just un-plug it since emissions testers check its function. (and it bugs me)
    So I just put a small piece of clear tape on the + side and run a jumper wire to the oil warning light.
    When the key is on it illuminates once the car starts it goes out with the oil warning.light.
    In some places this is enough to get you through an emissions test.
    Just thought I share

Apr 2012
    Newark, Notts
    Am I missing something why don't you just wire it up so the cel works properly and if it's on fix whatevers put it on?

Dec 2016
    Hood River Oregon USA
    VVTI swap will have codes due to the Auto Trans not being present
    It has no effect on how it runs or any emissions functions.
    Don't know of any emissions test that will proceed with CEL

So that's why

Mar 2012
    Rotherhithe
    Gouky has worked out how to suppress transmission codes in the 2GR ECUs, have you spoken to him ?

Dec 2016
    Hood River Oregon USA
    I have built a resistor pack and have a speed sensor remedy BUT!
    Even though I asked Wiregap to provide connections for these he took it upon himself to not bother to do so.
    I his infinite wisdom (and opinion trans codes aren't worth the trouble to bother with)
    So as much as I would like to use my nifty resistor pack I don't have the connections in my harness.
    Cant stand the CEL and I don't have emissions testing where I live anyway.
    Sure it's a band-aid but looks legit.
    1MZ not 2GR

Mar 2012
    Rotherhithe
    I have built a resistor pack and have a speed sensor remedy BUT!
    Even though I asked Wiregap to provide connections for these he took it upon himself to not bother to do so.
    I his infinite wisdom (and opinion trans codes aren't worth the trouble to bother with)
    So as much as I would like to use my nifty resistor pack I don't have the connections in my harness.
    Cant stand the CEL and I don't have emissions testing where I live anyway.
    Sure it's a band-aid but looks legit.
    1MZ not 2GR
    I know you said it was 1MZ not 2GR, i'm just saying that there's a guy out there who has suppressed the transmission codes that generate your check engine light within the ECU itself, not with resistors in the loom. The same trick almost certainly works for the 1MZ ECU too.

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding you, best of luck finding a solution.

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I'm afraid not Gav.

I've already been down this road in conjunction with Marc last year, the vvti 1mz cannot be hacked like other variants, well not easily anyway.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

May 2005
    Caerleon, South Wales
    VVTI swap will have codes due to the Auto Trans not being present
    It has no effect on how it runs or any emissions functions.
    Don't know of any emissions test that will proceed with CEL

So that's why
    This'll also be the case in the UK from May this year, when the CEL functionality / fault code display amendments to the MOT go live. So thanks for a workaround, it's something a fair few people here are going to have to look into in the upcoming weeks.
    It's a 2.0 inline four that thinks it's a viper v10. What's not to love?

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I had one years ago that was going to Germany and needed to pass the TUV, at the customers request I wired the CEL onto a 5 pin relay, so whatever you got to do, you got to do.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Dec 2016
    Hood River Oregon USA
    It`s a simple fix for some of us.
    It would be nice to bave Gaukys redline mod.
    Oh well probably just means longer engine life.

•