Thread: gathering equipment to power through the swap!

Icon10 gathering equipment to power through the swap!

Hello all I'm going to start my 1mzfe swap soon into my 86 aw11, and am feeling a tad worried about having all my parts organized before i park Monsieur Deux. as soon i can locate ALL the things i need (i dont have a garage, ill have to be using a friends space so it really cant take too long, waiting on parts and whatnot) I plan on taking a week vacation from work and plowing through the swap. One bright side: no emissions laws our here on the island, so i needn't worry about evap charcoals and cansiter evaporizers or any of that nonsense and shenanigans :P

side note: super thankful for everyone in this community, ive gone from contemplating the blacktop build, to learning a v6 sould be feasibly swapped, to feeling overwhelmed by the thought, to compiling a shopping list in the last month or so, so thanks all of you who took time to post your builds, it is really encouraging to people like me who arent super confident

so, here we gooooooo

Things to Source:
    1mzfe - theres several available near me for reasonable price, going to look at one tomorrow, the lady didnt know what year it was haha but only 800 Canadian pesos for tghe whole car so hopefully i can sell a few parts, pic in the ad looked at least 90's tho

s54/e154 trans - whichever i can find first and/or cheapest, jdm trans works fine, and no problems with a fwd trans right? saw a post where someone mentioned rearranging the trans for rwd usage or something.. i was tired and couldnt find the thread later. ideally an s54 with LSD, but beggars and choosers and all that

clutch/flywheel(?) - is this not expected to come with the trans i buy? ive seen people in posts saying they needed to buy a C/F, is this something that is jsut obvious once its on front of me? or does it depend on the trans being used

will i need new clutch cylinders? havent seen mention of this anywhere.

radiator(?) - havent seen mention of this either so presumably aw11 stock cooling is fine

5sfe/1mzfe fuel pump

engine mounts - read somewhere a certain member had a pdf but i think it was for a different engine. also saw a speed-source offering them for 500$.. is this a reasonable price? ive seen members using them, on my celica supra swap we jsut bolted a 6"x 4" plate of 1/2" steel onto the existing mounts and drilled holes into it so it mounted onto the engine, worked fine but looked awful. cost me nothing though, is this not feasible? will the aw11 body side not fit or simply not take the power?

wiring diagrams for harness - does anyone do these? wiring has never really "clicked" for me its a miracle the supra ended up as reliable as it was, but it was a filthy rats nest and id like to avoid that again. last time this part took me literally weeks of pointlessly pouring over diagrams and just. not. getting. it. so frustrating, would definitely appreciate anyones expertise on the matter, although i still hope ill be able to find a post that assists me in this issue, read Conors posts about his build and he mentioned having a diagram so theres hope yet.
    ps. thanks Conor if you read this for the idea to loop the fuel return inside the tank

vaccum lines, heater hose etc. - can be measured and taken care of in one separate trip to the auto shop

banjo bolts for fuel line? anyone done this enough to know the size of these by heart? will i need any adapters to change the hose size from the aw11? i assume they arent the same size

alternator(?) - saw posts regarding the use of a 5sfe alternator, but it mightve been for a 1.5 build, i almost had a 3gste fall into my lap earlier

front Axles from 88-91 camry http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/t...+assembly,2288

saw that aw11 shifter cables are sufficient? or wire driven on the later models, but i likely wont track one of those down, although miracles happen!

battery relocation kit necessary?

havent seen any mention of Throttle body relocation so i figure thats not gonna get int the way

Stuff to Worry About Later:

speedo and other guages

exhaust - will take it to a good local muffler shop after its finished

as i said time is a premium on this build, which is why im compiling my thoughts in this post, in the hopes someone will chime in if im missing anything. sorry for the huge dump of questions, but these are the worries ive been having trouble quashing

Cheers all, thanks for reading this far :) i appreciate your patience, im just learning, im only 11
    Last edited by Aiyden; 02-03-2018 at 10:43. Reason: adding dumb jokes

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Hi, i will condense the info down into simple bullet points in an effort not to overwhelm you with information....

• Use the S54 from the Mr2, do not use the FWD version, its linkages are on the wrong side, if possible source one from a 90-91 model as it will have the correct speedo drive for a Mk1.

• You will need to either source a v6 flywheel or modify a 3s-ge/gte one, which must then match your clutch pressure plate choice, i can supply a modified 3s-ge flywheel and clutch if you cannot source elsewhere. You will need 4a-ge flywheel bolts too.
    • Use the clutch slave cylinder from a Mk2 mr2.
    • Stock radiator is fine.
    • 5s-fe or 1mz fuel pump are fine
    • Engine hanger mounts need to be DIY, again i supply a jig that places the mount plates in exactly the right spot, but you do need to have the ability to weld.
    • Wiring, again it's DIY with research or i can supply a plug and play harness, you would need to send me both your aw11 and 1mz engine looms along with all immobiliser equipment from the donor car.
    • You need a return style fuel pressure regulator, a 3 way with feed in, feed out and a return, again i can supply.
    • Use your 4a-ge fuel banjo and connect it to the FPR.
    • Alternator is the 1mz-fe item.
    • Axles are Mk2 Mr2 S54, they plug and play on a Mk1.
    • Aw11 shift cables work but do require modifying for length, easy enough.
    • Battery can stay in the bay but i find it better to relocate it up front.

Hope that gets you underway, if you need any help just ask, or for parts supply PM me.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

thank you so much! any gen mr2 is considered uncommon to rare in the part of canada i live.. things tend to rust out, but i will scan junkyards for things like the slave cylinder, and also input on the axles i was either getting conflicting opinions on that, or misunderstanding.

I have the stock 4a-ge that will be coming out so flywheel bolts and banjo's will be something ill be sure to either keep off it and/or get more from toyota.

I'll price out a v6 flywheel if i can find one, i assume it is different for the standard application vs auto? so if i can wrangle an e154 I'll need ANY v6 flywheel or the 1mzfe, flywheel specifically?

shift cables are no prob to lengthen

That's great news that the 90-91 s54 will work with the aw11 speedo! http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/t...lutch+kit,1993 ?

I will do more research and see what I can grasp before resorting to asking you to do the harness for me, but I am incredibly relieved to know its an option if I really screw it up, undying appreciation for that.

I have a couple friends who can weld, i was just planning on bolting the mounts onto the engine and lowering everything in place around it to figure out the exact location of everthing, if a jig is available that's obviously superior

I will do more research on the return style FPR.. 3 way with feed in/out/return, noted

thanks for your input, thats more than enough to get the project underway! I'm sooo excited, this is starting to get real :)
    Last edited by Aiyden; 02-03-2018 at 11:50. Reason: said soemthing f

No, don't use the E153.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Just for my own posterity down the rd when I'm referencing other threads, is it a setting i have enabled/disabled on the site that won't let me see my own previous posts? Or did you just edit it out cuz of its disorganised nature? Lol it was around 2 am when i made this post and I was very tired and had had a few beverages..

Also i can't seem to post pictures in the thread it says my file size is too big by a few KB? Can i do something to change this? Already lowered my phone camera resolution as far as it'll go

Not sure but I think your post count is too low maybe.

Found a 91 LSD trans for 650$ American from JDM Miami, and have a 94 Camry i picked up for 750$ cdn waiting in my yard. I'm looking at axles now on rock auto, are left and right sides the same? I'm only finding listings for left side, can i just get two of these https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+assembly,2288

I sent you a pm as well Paul, about the clutch, flywheel and fpr

Welp, I've moved the Camry into a generous friends garage and started pulling things i recognize off the engine. There's a scary amount off wires and tubing all over the place and many of them I'm not 100% on what they do but I'm labeling what i know and numbering male and female ends of the stuff i don't so i can come back to it. I'm a bit concerned by the sheer volume of wiring in the engine bay, I'm used to slightly older cars i guess and I'm definitely not an electrical engineer by any means

Heyo so after a huge hiatus I'm back. I have an LSD s54, which must be from a 3sgte, correct? You (Paul) sent me a modded flywheel and clutch, my buddy was going over the bits with me yesterday and he figures the splines and friction disk won't line up. Do i need a different clutch assembly or is the friction plate a piece you might have lying around? I'll call around on my lunch break but they are really uncommon cars where I live

well, if anyone in the future is reading this, thers some stuff to note. if you dont listen like me, youll need to mate up the turbo and non turbo axles to get them to fit your lsd trans. and youll need a turbo and non turbo clutch that youll have to mash together to get everything to fit with each other. dont be dumb like me, save yourself the headache and money, follow the advice of the experts