Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant leak, 3S-GTE

Coolant leak, 3S-GTE

Good afternoon all.

Been some time since i frequented these forums but i now find myself the owner of another MR2, a turbo this time.
    It's had a lot of work done to it (found a few holes where bolts should be already :( ) and driving it back it started to get warm.
    So before it got hot and overheated I'd pull over, let it cool down and lose pressure, then top it up.
    Did this 3 or 4 times and I got home.
    So topping up the coolant with proper stuff from work has identified a constant drip leaking from a very short coolant hose behind the turbo.
    Is this a common failure point?
    What could have caused this?
    There were no drips/stains on the previous owners driveway where it was parked.
    I've started by removing the turbo support bracket but it looks like I'll, at least, have to take the oil return pipework off before getting any decent access.

Thanks in advance, Stuart.

Yes very common.
    Its called the hose from hell. Very cheap part but bloody difficult to reach. Its easier to take off the turbo to do it though this can create its own problems with snapped exhaust studs etc.
    Theres also another pipe near it called the hose from hell on earth. Its worth changing this at the same time too.
    Ive never tried and never heard anyone try but i do wonder if its easier to remove the oil filter and oil cooler to reach these hoses? I mean this for a rev 1/2.

Mine is a Rev 1 (and i think original engine) but with Rev 3 back end (lights, centre panel, spoiler) so I think I should be treating it as a Rev 1, engine wise!
    I'll start a parts list, then!
    There's a hose clamp on the top of the pipe but the bottom is a different type of clamp, the V type that you use pliers to remove rather than a socket.
    So I wonder if someone has been at it before.

Thanks for the response, Stuart.

They comr with the v clamps as standard both ends with a shroud too

Well I have ordered the parts, and made a start on removing the intercooler pipework and oil filter etc but my hands were numb and I was just getting more and more wound up so it's going to have to wait.
    Hopefully it'll be stripped at some point this week :)
    Luckily it's a third car so there's no rush to have it back on the road.

Weather is miserable, hoping to have another half hour pop at it this afternoon after i've walked the dogs, so fingers crossed i'll achieve a little bit more today!
    Parts still haven't turned up, so no real rush to pull it to pieces proper.

Will be glad to have this completed, fixed and running!

So now it is fully stripped, old hoses removed (HFH and HFHOE) and new parts fitted.
    Will make a start putting it back together once i've had some lunch.
    Turbo to decat and decat to 'downpipe' gaskets haven't arrived yet so i'll plug away, nice and steady.
    Will be nice to run this up the road with no coolant leaks...!

Found all sorts of bodges that I've had to repair as I'm going along. F***ing cowboys!

Does anyone know what size metric thread the pressure relief valve which screws into the oil cooler at one end, and the oil filter screws onto it at the other.

Quote Originally Posted by sturobturbo View Post
    Does anyone know what size metric thread the pressure relief valve which screws into the oil cooler at one end, and the oil filter screws onto it at the other.

Anyone at all?

Now almost back together. Received the part I required today, (thanks to the guy on IMOC), so i've fitted that, fitter the oil cooler, pressure relief valve and new oil filter.
    Refitted decat pipe with new gaskets top and bottom.
    Will work my way through the little jobs (intercooler/induction pipework, wiring, cross brace etc) throughout the course of this week, and then with an engine oil change and a full coolant change I should be somewhere near!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast