thread: Project St202gr

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2

Project St202gr

See what i did there?

This one has been in the planning stages for quite some time, another first for us, definitely a first in the UK and quite possibly the first 2gr to be fitted into an St202 worldwide, not sure!

My customer already has an awful lot of money invested in this car at present, a full body restoration, fresh paintjob and every component is either new or refurbished. There are a lot of trick aftermarket bits on the car too.

This is what was delivered, Celica and RX350 donor vehicle, no messing around!

That Lexus has 40k on the clock.

This one promises to be a showstopper build.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Jun 2008
    Any update?

Mar 2005
    Yes it's been a bit slow off the ground this one due to our enormous workload at the moment, but the engine has been fully prepped and ready for hanging.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Oct 2016
    Southampton
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what PW can do with this after reading through other people's threads! I also hope he's got one of those cool looking WS stickers left over to put on it! :icon_rr: Most expensive sticker I'd have ever bought

Mar 2005
    So some good progress made on this one, although not without some hurdles to overcome.

Normally when you use the original cars gearbox or its gearbox mounts you can also allow the upgraded engine to sit in the same spot the old engine would do, more extreme conversions require all four mounts to be done from scratch with a fully custom engine/gearbox position.

Well after a quick test fit we discovered this engine will not sit in the stock location based on the gearbox mounts, the rear bank cam cover wants to be where the brake servo is, rear exhaust manifold hitting steering rack, power steering pump hitting subframe, engine position too high and hitting bonnet in lots of places, just generally no.

So with there being lots of space available ahead of the engine we have had to relocate it 1" further forward and drop the whole lot 1" lower, which means having to redo all four mounts, but this will instantly cure our problems. The lower torque mount cradle also needs notching out to clear the sump, so this has made the conversion harder but not something we haven't had to deal with before on a first time install.

Pic of the dummy fit....

In the next few days we should have the new mountings all made up, it does mean the engine needs to come back out again and we will need to repaint the bay where it has been modified..... all good fun, it should be a pretty spectacular conversion though.

Aug 2007
    Is this just normal FWD (Not a GT4)?

Mar 2005
    Yes just front wheel drive

May 2007
    Wellington,New Zealand
    Ditch the power steering, and go mr2 electric assist.....lol

Id do that if i ever build a v8 hot rod, most PS systems look ugly on the side of an engine
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!

Oct 2016
    Southampton
    While it's been a fair length of time since Paul has updated this thread (he's a very busy guy!), he has made a lot of very decent progress to which I am extremely highly pleased with. But Ill leave him to update here when he gets time to as he can explain everything properly and will make for much better reading!

•