Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Valtezza

That is going to be one mean little bit o kit!

Why mx5 donor? Other than being the common donor for most small kit cars

Gonna poach some 6pot rx7 calipers to add too?
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    The GBS Zero (closest relative to the Hood kit) uses the MX5 as a donor, so i can use Zero wishbones off the shelf on my frame.

Also Mx5 being 4x100 wheel pattern means i have lots of cool options on wheels, including Mk1 mr2 stuff. The Mx5 also has a front engined/rear drive layout, so the chassis harness has all of the components in the right place.

Oh do 6 pot Rx7 calipers fit on an Mx5?

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Very interesting build. As someone who picked up an already built kit car a year later r so ago it will be interesting to watch this one develope.
    JFDI

Cheers squire!

Today was a busy day on the Hood, one of the big jobs i had to tackle before even thinking about getting this project off the ground was making the Altezza gearbox fit the engine and to get a working starter motor position. There is only one spot on the V6 that will allow a starter motor to locate and even then a lot of block material needs removing, along with having to relocate the starter housing on the bellhousing as well.... yep moving starter bosses, pretty involved stuff.

So this is the gearbox starter position before surgery....

On the V6 engine this would place the starter right in the middle of the left bank head, which isn't ideal, i'd prefer my cylinder head not to have a starter motor in it. So this boss needs rotating from the 10 o'clock position around to roughly 9 o'clock.

This was achieved by making a jig that slides tightly over the release bearing trumpet and bolts securely to the starter bolt holes, the boss is then cut out, the 2" of bellhousing removed beneath it and the boss swung around on the jig and welded back in place. The piece that was cut out then goes back in where the starter used to be...... clear? Let the pics speak....

Starter rotating boss jigamathing..... made from scrap steel mig welded together, the important bit is the ID of the trumpet tube, which fits very snugly, freeplay here would be a disaster.

First job, cut out the starter boss....

Check on the engine which area i need to remove on both engine and gearbox....

Remove the area where the starter boss needs to sit....

Quick vid showing the "rotate-a-jig" in action, sorry about the music, the radio was on, who doesn't like the Spice girls though?

Now with the starter boss in its new position, everything is Tig welded back up inside and outside the bellhousing, not my best aluminium welding but not my worst either.

Inside my bell end...... hilarious.

Now the counter part area on the engine block is cut away, this was the one and only spot it could go into.

Et Voila, one Altezza gearbox bolted to a Lexus 1mz-fe and with a working starter motor position.

So seeing as the gearbox was fitted to the engine i though it would be rude not to have a trial fit in the chassis just to get a rough idea of things....

This gives me funny feelings in my undercarriage.

That's all for now folks, next up is engine mountings, gearbox mount, hanging the diff and more parts buying, hope you're enjoying the build.
    Last edited by Paul Woods; 16-02-2018 at 22:01.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Wow. That is a brilliant idea on how to move that starter! Kept it simple, cheap and easy. I thought rotating that box was going to be insanely complicated. But- you've done it and that car is going to be scary fast. --- PERFECT.

Thank you kindly, it turned out to be easier than I thought, let's hope the rest of the car goes that way.

Some nice headers and lake pipes?

That's probably the last of the hard stuff for you.....
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!

Yes all in full polished stainless when the time comes.

Awesome job Paul. Just shows that thinking about what needs to happen rather than how your going to do it brings about a simple solution.
    Looking forward to the development

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast