Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Challenge Accepted! 1991 Turbo 'Two Gets a 4th Gen 3SGTE!

Here are a few pics of the progress made today.
    It now has a pressure side fuel line, the main coolant lines, throttle connected, clutch connected but not yet bled, air filter tube into turbo, intercooler piping done-

Tomorrow it goes on it's wheels and we may try to fire it.

Now in this next pic-- These three wires, not really sure what to do with them- I get it, the 12V I'll just connect to switched power, but the other two- no idea, I suspect they think I know more about these conversion harnesses than I actually do.

Then this little bugger! One lone plug- near the top of the gearbox, around the starter area- cannot find where this thing went!
    They left it intact, in the harness conversion, so it MUST go to something!

To any Turbo owners and to anyone else that might, just maybe have the info I seek- Let me know and I will buy the beer on our next outing! (subject to location in the northeastern United States lol)
    Last edited by Grenade; 10-02-2018 at 23:38.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    That's pretty poor, when I supply a plug and play harness it does exactly That, not leaving you with connections to work out.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Trying to work out what they are for and still puzzled by why they didn't just connect them up.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Did they wire in a female connector for your male 22 pin ECU plug to slot into? I can only think they left you with wires to connect because they haven't.

The ECU has plugs in all the openings, I'll take a picture of it when I head back over there. I'll tell you this much- I appreciate you looking at this and if I have to spend any more money to make it run, I'm spending it with you.

I got it back down on it's feet today, all buttoned up under the car, but for the exhaust.
    Filled it with oil, hit the key and I heard the starter click, but nothing turned.

I have it down to a flat battery, it should fire the car, based on all the preliminary checks, it's just a low battery. We were done for the day, it's cold and damp in there. Not happy with the company and how they handled my time and money.

I'll get back to the car possibly tomorrow night.

Thanks for checking in sir!

Random Image:
    Last edited by Grenade; 12-02-2018 at 03:40.

Make sure you have the main gearbox to chassis ground fitted and that the connections are clean and tight, not having that fitted can cause an engine bay fusebox melt as the starter tries to find a ground path, in that case it uses the reverse light switch wiring which melts a B/Y wire going to the EFI relay..... yeah that's a bad day when that happens.

I can run through some test proceedures with you if you need it, the primary thing for now is your cranking circuit, hit me on FB messenger when you're at the car and we will walk through it.

Nice to see another gen4 build. My loom also came with the 3 labeled wires like yours did. Not got to install yet so have not tried to work out where they go.
    The guy that did mine (same labels as your loom so possibly Wiregap? or a tuner that farms it out to him) is available on email and seems to reply to messages fairly quickly. I was just going to email him at install time and ask where they needed hooking up to.

like you say 12v is kinda obvious.

Signal? signal for what? no idea yet. though I do know the ecu limits the revs if it doesn't have a road speed input, maybe that? not sure.

Tach, is this the signal wire to the front or from the sensor? No idea. Buy like Paul says, why not have that in the other plugs on the loom so it's plug and play? it's prob the signal wire to the dash. Maybe they do it like that as some people use tach adaptors.

Oh yeah, fair warning, the tach will not work with the stock gen4 signal. need to change a resistor in the dial to make it work. or use a tach adapter.
    This thread helped http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/82...MS-tach-and-AC

Also as the gen4 is OBD2 you can hook up a phone or tablet to display loads of engine info.. not needed but a nice little side project.
    http://www.mr2oc.com/61-3sgte-turbo/...up-dialed.html

Good luck with it, hope you work out them 3 wires! Please post the solution if you find it before I do :D

Thanks Paul, I will put that app on my phone, as of right now the only thing I do FB with, is my desktop PC.

I certainly will post up anything I find out pbmr2, I trust you'll do the same. Yeah- Prime farmed it out, I have nothing good to say about them. Nothing at all.
    I took a few pics over there today and made some preliminary tests. I'll get some pictures up. Hang on a bit-

So here is what I paid 474.00 USD for-- Aside from the "unknown plug" and the three blind wires- this is what I have:

There WERE two round plugs, Unless I missed one, one of them in now missing. I need to look better for it, it was dark in there today. (power is out)
    It's fine, as long as it fires the car.

I do need to double check the earths are all CLEAN and connected up everywhere. Then I need to follow the STA circuit from the body harness through the little green relay in the boot, over to the starter motor.
    First things, it needs to crank on the key. Then I'll start troubleshooting what is missing, fuel, ect..

I jumpered the starter with 12v, bypassing everything and the engine did spin over nicely. So- I can rule out any issue with the starter or flywheel and such. It's going to be a couple days before I can get back over there.
    Last edited by Grenade; 16-02-2018 at 01:51.

I'll have to look through my old wiring notes, to see which body harness plug & which pin sends the STA signal to the green relay. Unless someone has that jpeg image handy? I could also follow it backwards, yeah?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast