Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 1992 g-ltd 1MZ-FE VVTI Project Sky gets an upgrade

1992 g-ltd 1MZ-FE VVTI Project Sky gets an upgrade

Hello chaps
    I have been snooping on here for a while now asking questions and searching old threads for info for my V6 conversion.

This is project Sky, i have a project thread over on MR2OC where i did all the restoration up to this point but thought i would start a thread here aswell since there is a bit more of the conversion community.

So I kept my eye out and found an RX300 going cheap and it was only a hour away.
    Here she is back home

Just to cut down a long story i got the engine, wiring and (i think) all necessary parts from the lexus shell. I did remember the vacume cylinder from beneath the battery tray.
    So here is the engine

And the necessary wiring

I have also removed the cruise control control box and stalk from under the steering column, i understand it wont be easy to add the CC but i like a good challange, thats probably why im doing this conversion in the first place.

I have decided after seeing how well the engine ran that it really doesnt need a rebuild right now so i will table that plan for another day and just focous on getting it tidied up, in the car and running.
    Im stripping it down to the head and block so that i can clean and paint/powder coat all the ancileries ect.
    I started by pulling the plugs, as im sure your all aware the LH bank is always neglected on these and this time is no different. the plugs in the LH bank were rusted in place and squealed the whole way out. You can see the difference between RH and LH bank

Considering the age of the plugs they still look pretty good.
    I continued the strip down and got the gearbox off, stand bracket on and liften onto the stand so i could move it into the warmth of the workshop.

I intend to give the engine an extra special service including timing belt ect. so i have got it stripped down to this point, there is still more to come off but as i clean bits up i will be starting to build it back up. I do have a sand blaster so will be using it where i can for brackets ect but the cam covers will all be cleaned by hand after @rainen's escapades with bolting the baffles back in, something i have done before on another engine.

Im hoping since i have alot of wiring work to do that i will be able to do a tuck and make it look a bit tidier when the engine cover is off as im not a big fan of engine covers. Has anyone relocated the assembly of VSV's sat right on the top as it makes it look a bit scruffy, i cant see it beeing a problem as its just wiring and vacume hoses. If anyone has different info then let me know.

I have plans to fit a MK3 LSD and extended 5th gear to my old NA box as it need opening and checking anyway. The manual from Paul Woods will be very usefull here.

Nice thread, be interesting to watch. I drive a 55 plate RX300 and I did look at changing the plugs, but I will probably wait until the day I tug the engine out and stuff it into something else.

:)

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    You also need the plug that fits the transponder unit in your pic.....

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    You also need the plug that fits the transponder unit in your pic.....

Ah yes that might help. I will get it out tonight thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Nice thread, be interesting to watch. I drive a 55 plate RX300 and I did look at changing the plugs, but I will probably wait until the day I tug the engine out and stuff it into something else.

Yea they are difficult to get to. I am debating the possibility of making a removable service panel in the boot bulkhead so I can access that side easily.

Speaking from experience, unless the donor is sitting on your driveway for a while, if you think you might need it, grab it, tag it and box it.

You can always chuck stuff away later, but some stuff is a twat to source on its own.

:/

C.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Speaking from experience, unless the donor is sitting on your driveway for a while, if you think you might need it, grab it, tag it and box it.

You can always chuck stuff away later, but some stuff is a twat to source on its own.

:/

C.
    Yes I have come across that. The car will be sat for a while as I have a small corner that I managed to squeeze it into. I am hoping to sell a few parts off it to recoup some costs. Have already removed and kept most things that looked either useful or necessary.

I think the calipers fit some other vehicles, we sold a few from Cammy's and RX300's.

If the seats are good condition list them separately, drivers ones always wear out first. Or make some nice furniture for the house.

Really wish i had more to update you fine fellows with.

Sadly i haven't had much chance to work on the engine with so many other things going on.
    A couple of hours here and there have seen all ancillaries removed from the block.

Home made puller still working well

Got the cover off and the cam lobes all look very clean.

Lower sump off didnt show anything untoward except the oil possibly starting to congeal.

Havnt gotten the other part of the sump off yet so not been able to check big ends but i dont expect anything to be wrong.

I started cleaning up a cam cover, flushed the inside out with petrol and my dads toothbrush to try and remove some of the old gunk.

I would normally like to sand blast the covers before powder coating but dont want the hassle of removing the baffels and i dont have any soda to blast it with.
    so wire brush it is.

And thats as far as i got, will hopefully see some quicker progress soon it just depends what life decides to throw at me next.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Cellulose thinners will help you massively dissolving that gunk, and it's safe.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast