Thread: 1970s/80s BL canary yellow racing Mini with 4age in the back

1970s/80s BL canary yellow racing Mini with 4age in the back

Hi everyone

Does anyone remember the car I detail above from the old mark 1 uk owners club website..?

It was a Mini painted in canary yellow, had a black rollcage installed, plexi windows (maybe) and a 4-age amidships / in the back, maybe running black Revolution 4-spokes or RFXs..? Definitely a track car, I don't think it ran with plates.

I think the photos that originally appeared on the mark 1 site had already been scanned form a magazine article IIRC. Trying to gain some info on the car anyway. I know it's a long shot...

I'm not looking to do something similar, just keen to see some images of the vehicle again, particularly the engine and gearbox setup. And of course, I'm wondering if the vehicle is still about...

Cheers all

Mick

It wasn't really a Mini it was a fibreglass mini body modified to sit on a shortened and modifie MK1. Wasn't built in the UK somewhere like the Bahamas, I should have some info on it, I looked into it years ago because it combines 2 of my favourite cars. I'll see what I can find.
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Holy Historical Accuracy, Batman!

Hi Jimi

You're right, it was in the Bahamas, or somewhere similar.

Looking forward to seeing some images.

This forum is ace!

cheers!

I have the full article in my web storage here CLICKY
    I think I have more info as well, I'll take a look when I get a chance.
    Jimi

Wow, top work, Jimi! It has a rear UK plate on the front...?!

Thanks foe the linky. Great to see this car again. I remember a B&W shot of the interior as well. Will check the link.

cheers

mick

brilliant mate, loved reading that again. all the photos as well. how long has your page been up...? I think it may have been your page I read all those years ago...???

This is the best/most shocking part (hahahaha)

"Carlos shortened the chassis by taking 11 inches out of the center with a chop saw. The two halves were then joined together and braced."

In all seriousness though, that's a hell of a project and I bet that thing actually drove fairly well. Wonder what happened to the car...?

The stuff on my website came from the old MK1club site, I downloaded it before it disappeared. Pretty sure you'll have seen it on the MK1club site thta's were I first saw it. I'd love to know what happened to it, I would have one in a heartbeat, my first car was a bright yellow mini !

Jimi

Loving those nylon trousers, fella ;)

Never was allowed a mini. My dad always used to highlight the cross-sectional width of the door panels and say "imagine if you get hit driving one of these", then almost in the same breath remind me of his old P1800 which was rusted along both sills and both door panels and his terrible fad with GS Citroens (hardly safe cars even back then!)

Nice MR2 you have there BTW ;)