thread: MOT law and engine swaps [UK]

Nov 2008
    London
    IMOC/MR2OC members Gareth Dawson and Mark Shinn have put (pre-1995) rev3 turbos into rev5 N/A cars and (they have found) the onus is on the presenter to convince/prove to the tester that the engine is pre-1995.
    Yes that makes sense as it is a 'get out' clause to protect the tester/test centre.

Yes that's true, the burden of proof is very much the owners responsibility, the headed letters we supply to customers go a long way towards that.
    I agree, even after a home build I kept as much of the donor documentation as I could including a photocopy of the V5 and the scrappage certificate which included the engine number and date of registration. I then got an engineers report (as Paul said on headed paper) to confirm that the installation was 'fit-for-purpose' and that not only supported the MOT but also the Insurance and engine registration with the DVLA.

In the great scheme of things it only cost me a couple of quid but it seems this is the way to go.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    I tend to keep everything from the donor car, any history, receipts, a copy of the log book etc. It stays with the MR2 from then on.

It's paid off a few times, and makes life a lot easier "proving" where the engine came from.

c.

Mar 2011
    england
    thread revive..

so if I have no proof of engine age then the chassis will be the MOT test year. No problem.

How does one legally register the car once the engine has been swapped?

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Technically no home build engine conversion is legal, as the DVLA insist on the owner supplying a headed letter from the registered garage that carried out the conversion. They will not change the V5 details without that, of course it doesn't stop anyone from working around the system as everyone knows someone in the trade who can supply a letter for a fee, but by the letter of the law it is illegal.

I guess they are trying to stamp out shoddily built or dangerous cars as this never used to be the case going back years ago.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton

Icon6

Just going through this on a V6 swap with DVLA at the moment. Here's what those nice folks put in writing for me:-

To update our record with the change of vehicle details, you must provide one form of evidence from the list below:

*a receipt of purchase on headed paper, from a garage, confirming the engine number, engine size (cc) and the fuel type for the replacement engine
    * an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
    or
    * written confirmation from the engine manufacturer showing the engine number and size.

If the vehicle's engine has been converted or the change took place before you bought the vehicle we will accept:

* written confirmation on headed paper from the garage that carried out the conversion,
    or
    * written confirmation of the change on headed paper from an independent garage.

My understanding is that if you have a document confirming the engine change, with details of the engine etc, from a reputable garage (which stands to reason they will want to see it and confirm what they are putting on paper for you) you shouldn't have any issues. They seem more concerned with the details being accurate than who actually did the conversion.

c.

Mar 2011
    england
    Thank you both.

Hmm seems the V5 will have to wait till after the car has an MOT and a garage can see the car before being willing to put their name to official paperwork.
    Still good reason to take it for an extended spin to a garage that knows MR2s :D

Mar 2012
    Rotherhithe
    Technically no home build engine conversion is legal, as the DVLA insist on the owner supplying a headed letter from the registered garage that carried out the conversion. They will not change the V5 details without that, of course it doesn't stop anyone from working around the system as everyone knows someone in the trade who can supply a letter for a fee, but by the letter of the law it is illegal.

I guess they are trying to stamp out shoddily built or dangerous cars as this never used to be the case going back years ago.
    I re-registered mine with DVLA to new engine cc off the strength of the new engine number and a letter from JEM stating the work had been carried out to a satisfactory standard. JEM didn't charge, DVLA didn't put up a fight. It wasn't a back hander kind of thing.

Ideally best to go with the documents from the engine donor vehicle too as Chris has suggested.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-de...idence-to-give

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    yeah i phoned them up today to chase one of the bodgewerks swaps, emailed some docs over to a nice welsh lady and it was done in minutes and i could check it online.

i know there has been talk of tightening up on fuckwit engine swaps, but judging on my experience recently, like today, so long as you can back it up with the right paperwork, a letter from a reputable garage and a sprinkle of charm, its about as hard as any other details change.

chris.

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Ok, when i said illegal i didn't mean the boys in blue were going to batter doors down, i meant that without official paperwork from a registered garage DVLA won't accept a home built engine conversion and i do have it from the horses mouth it very much is more to do with proper workmanship than identity.

Like i said though, everyone has their own workaround, i get two or three emails per week from people who have hit a wall with this and need a headed letter, the issue is very real.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Mar 2011
    england
    I may well need to make a beer fund donation to you soon Paul, to get some decent looking paperwork for my build.

Sadly as the engine was a Jap import into the USA and then imported again to the UK, then the buyer pulled out and I stepped in, there is no paperwork for the hardware. The engine number is clear and not tampered with but aside from a Paypal receipt there is zero documentation.

The Car is a UK chassis with a clean past and has been my daily for a few years.
    Spose you'd need some decent pictures of the car and the install to be confident enough to sign paperwork backing up the build. Shouldn't be an issue, I've cut no corners and know what's safe and what's a bodge.
    If this rain keeps up it could be a while before it gets anywhere near needing paperwork! I theory it's only a few weekends of tinkering away from being finished, or at least finished enough to put through an MOT.