Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine overhaul questions

Engine overhaul questions

Hi!
    Im looking at a minor overhaul of my 3vzfe, I was thinking about porting the heads, new generator, oil pump, water pump, O2 sensors, timing belt, plugs, plug wires, rotor, distributor cap, o-rings for the injectors.
    Thats my list for now, anything else that would be clever to do while the engine is out of the car?
    The engine will stay NA.

Thanks, Lasse.

If your porting and polishing then think carefully about your exhaust system, the manifolds aren't great designs the rear especially think about using 2 front manifolds and a decent y merge as a minimum otherwise any gains from p+p will be pretty much a waste

Sump - do something with the sump! Baffle it, oil scrapers, anything to prevent surge!
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

A lick of paint is also planned, aswell as a home welded exhaust.
    But it is possible to use front manifolds on both side of the engine? The front one is a little bit better? I didnt know.
    And the sump haden't even crossed my mind, I will look into it, thanks alot guys.

Yup, here's them side by side......

Or even better, make one of these.........

Aha! The rear one that was sitting on the engine was really rusted anyways, so I´ll look for another front one, thanks!
    Ive drooled over those tubular manifolds many times! You actually sold it to a member of www.ts-ogn.no (Norwegian Toyota forum) that was inspired by my former v6 build :)
    But anyways, I dont think my welding/fabricating skills is just about there yet, just bought my first welding machine two weeks ago.......

You're probably already a better welder than me. :(

And I've got manifolds if you struggle to find one in Norway, heavy to post but doable if you need.

Oh, I dont know about that... At this point, I´m happy as long as things stay together.
    Cool! I will try a few junkyards, but dont be surprised if I contact you, those 3vzfe powered cameras dont grow on trees up here...

Probably a stupid question, but I´m in the process of teardown now, and was just wondering what you guys do when you remove the cams.
    Got the cam gears lined up with the marks in the heads (crank is about 5 degrees off TDC, is that correct? ) but what about the cams itself? Any tricks about getting them lined up correctly with each other when you mount them again, og is it the good old trick when you make your own marks on them, like a permanent marker or something...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast