Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no fuel pump

no fuel pump

i was running my 3vz earlier bleeding everything and it cut out dead just after i blipped the throttle

i pulled the airfilter off and opened the afm flap and the fuel pump doesnt run.

whats the most likely faliure point? the afm itself is suspect atm because it caused me issues on day 1, but whats the easiest way to confirm it.. ie which wire do i either ground or ad +12v to to make the fuel pump run?

edit and yes all the fuses are ok.

Check your getting power at the circuit opening relay, I think the way to check it all is in the wiring diagram Paul wrote.

Also did you wire in the oil level sensor in the sump? If so check the oil level or bridge the wires and bypass it to test.

I've got a spare working afm I bought from the states if your tests show nothing

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Try grounding the green/red wire on the afm plug and see if your pump runs.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

I had a brand new fuel pump drop dead in the tank, I was so pissed off. After much diagnostic fuckduggery I reached the inevitable conclusion. I got around the problem short term by fitting a Jag V12 pump in the engine bay inline.

Anyway, the wire that powers the fuel pump is BLUE/BLACK, and it also exits the loom in the engine bay fuse box. If you haven't clipped it out of the plug (it's not used on a 3vz swap) connect a 12v bulb to it, and do the AFM flappy thing. It should light up, which means power is reaching the pump. Which means your pump isn't working.

You can remove the centre console and try powering the pump directly, but if that doesn't work, it's tank out job.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Try grounding the green/red wire on the afm plug and see if your pump runs.
    that worked so im thinking its the afm

Quote Originally Posted by thomp1983 View Post
    Check your getting power at the circuit opening relay, I think the way to check it all is in the wiring diagram Paul wrote.

Also did you wire in the oil level sensor in the sump? If so check the oil level or bridge the wires and bypass it to test.

I've got a spare working afm I bought from the states if your tests show nothing
    how much do you want for your afm?

Maybe not, that was just my first test, check the white/black wire on the AFM plug has full continuity to ground, if it doesn't then that is your issue, ground the W/B wire and it will work.

If the G/R being grounded makes the pump run and you do have a good ground on the W/B but the pump still will not run then you have a bad AFM.

Check the W/B wire first.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

pump runs when w/b earthed. ive got a w/b coming out of the loom in the engine fuse box that ive connected to the coil mount, it that the same wire or does the one for the afm come out elsewhere?

also to save starting another thread,,,

does this look about right? been running about 10 mins at this point

https://youtu.be/96GgbNN36L4

The AFM W/B earth actually runs through the oil level switch on your sump, Toyotas way of saving your engine from a mighty catastrofuck if you ran dry of oil by simply cutting your fuel off.

Not a bad idea until the switch fails, or the ground on the switch fails, then you end up with your scenario.

My advice is to T a fresh wire into your AFM W/B wire and run it straight to ground.

i looped the switch out (first thing i tried) and it make no difference. next thing i think im going to try is to do a continuity test from the afm w/b to the level sensor plug and then if that checks out the level plug to ground. then if there is no continuity to ground i will simply cut the plug off and ground it at a handy bolt on the engine block. that should do it :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast