Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air induction kit

Air induction kit

Been looking at a few mods for the car and wondering if it is worth fitting the a K&N or similar air induction kit. Just wondering if it will get the cold air required as they fit quite close to the engine.

I know it makes a difference on the MK2, and probably most other cars. Engines like cold air, the more you can get in the better (hence forced induction etc). Ideally what goes in must come out again so a decent exhaust to match would work well.

If you can plumb the air intake right into the corner of the engine bay that will work, not sure which side the vent is on a MK1.

I've got a suitable pic here somewhere hang on....

Thanks for the response.

The factory fitted air filter box is currently in the boot (L/H rear passenger wing) a cold air feed runs round the boot to the drivers side vent.

I looked at a piper cross venom as it has a carbon heat shield around it.

I have a passenger side air scoop that I'm debating whether to fit, perhaps I could fit this and locate the filter close to that?

Yeah, good plan. It doesn't really matter at tickover, but when the cars moving, so long as you're getting cold air to where the sucky end of the filter is, you should be good!

:)

The only thing you"ll gain on a MK1 is louder induction noise, you may even loose some bottom end torque. I've been down that road and over time have reverted back to the standard system.
    The side scoop is pretty much a waste of time unless you duct it directly to the throttle body, if you don't the airflow is going to be restricted because it's in direct opposition to the natural airflow through the engine bay ( from under the car up and out the engine cover.
    Mr T designed the car so that the combination of the rear window visor and the boot spoiler combine to create a low presssure area above the engine cover so drawing air up through the engine bay. It's strong enough to lift an unlatched engine cover at 40/50mph. There used to be video kicking about showing this happening on a MK1 (pretty sure it was Murf's 1.5)
    Last edited by jimi; 27-07-2017 at 00:55.
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    The only thing you"ll gain on a MK1 is louder induction noise, you may even loose some bottom end torque. I've been down that road and over time have reverted back to the standard system.
    The side scoop is pretty much a waste of time unless you duct it directly to the throttle body, if you don't the airflow is going to be restricted because it's in direct opposition to the natural airflow through the engine bay ( from under the car up and out the engine cover.
    Mr T designed the car so that the combination of the rear window visor and the boot spoiler combine to create a low presssure area above the engine cover so drawing air up through the engine bay. It's strong enough to lift an unlatched engine cover at 40/50mph. There used to be video kicking about showing this happening on a MK1 (pretty sure it was Murf's 1.5)
    Can't be losing power! I like how poky it is now, was hoping for a slight gain, I noticed a bit of a gain when I had the mongoose fitted and better sound of course.

Do you have a standard air filter in the current stock set up? As read a few put a K&N filter in there. I guess that will just increase sound as well though.

I picked up the scoop very cheap. I have considered selling it on as see a few FB posts of people wanting them.

I did have a K&N panel filter in the standard housing at one time, but now back to a standard filter.
    If you have a K&N cone or panel filter then try it, you may feel differently about it than I did. It's generally accepted that there's no noticible gains made on a standard MK1 by fitting a cone filter and/or a side scoop.
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Totally agree with Jimi, little to no difference, any "noticeable" gain is more than likely a placebo effect.

In the past we have dyno'd cars with various air filter setups and found no gain, just a nicer induction noise.

Jimi is also correct regarding the huge airflow from under the car, I've actually found that when we put a 2zz into a Mk1 it really does not like any sort of induction kit in the engine bay, the fuel trims are all over the place, so we use the stock Mk1 airbox in the boot, which already has its own dedicated cold air feed system. A 4a-ge won't have its fuel trims affected by a sports filter because it has limited intelligence, no MAF and carries out very basic fuelling adjustments.

In short, fit an induction kit for the noise, but don't expect any gains at all.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Like most grown ups you should make your own mind up.

Or maybe just fit a leaf blower and have done with it. :)

https://youtu.be/Rii3Yar1Z7s

Yeah I guess so. Always good to read people's opinions and past experiences etc.

I wonder if I can fit that leaf blower in the boot. ;-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast