thread: Picking the TB brains on a V6 conversion.

Dec 2015
    corby

Picking the TB brains on a V6 conversion.

As you all know, along with the aw11 I also have a ae92 sprinter trueno, I go on about it enough.. You know.. The one I secretly wish was an ae86 but it's not but it's rarer so that's ok.

Anyway, it sports a 3Rd gen 140bhp non tvis 4age and an automatic transmission. It's only.done 241,000 miles

So. When it goes bang which may be never, boredom may set in sooner, and I've built my garage.. Will a V6 (1mz and 3vz) go straight in? There's a fair bit of engine bay room, think corolla gti.
    I'd be happy to put the engine and gearbox in but wiring is a no go, I wouldn't have the first clue of how to do it.

I want to know, is this possible? With not much more difficulties than a aw11 conversion? Or am I dreaming?

Any advice is welcome, except bad advice.

Thanks chaps

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I've often put a lot of thought into this one, or any RWD application, and yes it is possible, but not without some major mods.

One of the big hurdles is starter motor, most RWD have the starter mounted on the engine side of the gearbox, so if you planned to use your AE92 gearbox with an adapter plate for the bellhousing then the starter will not work.

I favour using the Beams Altezza 6 speed gearbox, I have one sat here I've been hoarding for this very reason one day, it will bolt straight up to a V6 without any adapter plate, which I like a lot, and you would use the normal Mr2 flywheel/clutch combo we currently use, but the starter is still going to be an issue. My plan is to weld a starter boss onto the gearbox bellhousing on the tunnel side, which may mean tunnel mods, but for me this would be the way to go.

Once the gearbox issue is sorted you would need to modify its mounts and propshaft.

Now on the engine hanging, it will go from canted at an angle in the Lexus/Mr2/Camry to hanging level in the ae92, the Altezza gearbox will straighten the banks up, this will place the intake plenum up at a silly angle, but seeing as the throttle body would be trying to go through the front firewall it would need a rethink anyway, probably the best idea would be to fit throttle bodies and a standalone. Or mount a supercharger bang in the Vee on a custom lower plenum, either way it's tons of work.

The sump and pickup pipe would need altering to correct the slant, and also to clear subframe/steering rack etc.

Other than that it would be the usual wiring headache and plumbing etc, exhaust manifolds would need making from scratch.

Definitely possible, but i'd give it a 9 out of 10 wtf spanner rating.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Dec 2015
    corby
    The ae92 trueno is FWD, so I'd be able to use the same gearbox as what could be used in an aw11 I think, so maybe the inlet manifold won't cause such an issue? Will the v6 still hang level? I'd have thought it would mount in much the same way as the mr2. I may still have the issue with sump/steering rack clearance though.. As for the driveshafts, no idea at this stage what may fit..

In terms of plumbing aslong as the water inlet and outlet on the block is in the right direction it shouldn't be too much of an issue? I'd lose the AC rad anyway and trans cooler so I'd have space for a large enough radiator I'd have thought. But when it comes to the wiring side of things.. Would I be able to make the gauges work with the conversion? Would I have to lose the power steering?

May 2007
    Wellington,New Zealand
    I'd say it's "possible".....

Very few things are not, with time, money and skill.

It will be clearance issues more than anything, the 92' has a lower bonnet line than the rest of the corrollas. While the 20v motor fits snug in the bay. The 3vz may need a firewall cut, like it does in the aw11's...youd probably want the early 90's Celica box, as the selector is for fwd use already. Or any of the 3s motor fwd boxes, caldina/Camry/curran

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Ah ignore my post above, I presumed wrongly that we were talking RWD inline mounted, yep sounds doable just like the 3sgte corolla we have done, all using Celica gearbox etc.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

•