Thread: Discovery - 2GR Water pumps

Discovery - 2GR Water pumps

Had mine in to attend to a squeaky alternator belt and a water pump problem has been found.
    Bearing was rumbling and it was leaking a little.

No worries we think, lets order a Toyota Water pump for a lexus rx 350 (Part number 16100-39456)

Part arrives, it doesn't match the old part

JEM are initially stumped when the Toyota part doesn't fit, but they find a pattern replacement from Airtex which is the correct part.

After a chat with Mr Woods who has the EPC for inspection, it seems the water pump from the Sienna (and the early Avalons) may well be different to water pump in the majority of 2GRs.

By default, you should order 16100-39456.
    If you find that doesn't fit (because you well may have a Sienna engine), you will need 16100-09441.

if you look here: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ater_pump.html there's quite a number of different manufacturers of this part.

Hope this saves someone else the panic I had this morning.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    It appears the front engine casing is different between Siennas and other 2gr engine cars, why Toyota did that I don't know but as Gav says the vast majority have the 16100-39456 pump fitted, the advice is to go with that and if it doesn't fit exchange it for the 16100-09441 pump as identifying the engine casing is next to impossible.

Up to now the issue only appears to affect the Sienna 2gr.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here