Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: s54 ratios.

s54 ratios.

im a bit confused with gear ratios here so i thought id ask y'all being the font of all v6 swap knowledge and all.

ok so notwithstanding boxes that have a taller 5th fitted... does the s54 gearbox 5th gear and final drive ratios change across revisions? also are uk and jdm boxes different ratios?

the taller gear mod cannot be done on my box so id have to change to a rev3 or later box, but i find the ratios too low in my rev1 box, 2nd feels like 1st and i can get into top easily at about 30mph. the car also tops out on the rev limiter at 131mph (satnav recorded) all the gearing calculators ive looked at say that with my tyre size and the ratios i can find online for the s54 i should be at 163mph at 7krpm!!! no chance! so is my rev1 jdm s54 just geared really short? and no, the clutch is not slipping.

thanks guys :)

Don't know about the ratios but you can fit the longer 5th you just need the later 5th gear hub and bits to retrofit, you can do it in situ aswell

yes but if the final drive in the later box is also taller ill fit a later box. has the advantage of being able to use the car whilst i do it and ill stick a LSD in it at the same time. probably will cost less too.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    The final drives are different in various forms of the S54, the best (longest geared) version is the JDM St202 S54, I recently fitted one to a customers Mk3 1mz vvti install and also installed the Woodsport 5th gear modification, it cruises below 3k rpm at 70mph.

The Camry 2.2 S54 (might be called an S53 or some such) already has the 0.73:1 taller WS fifth mod, all Mk2 Mr2 S54s have the 0.82:1 fifth set.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

excellent just what i wanted to know.

If it came from a JDM import then quite probably, if it came from a UK car then probably not, reason for the uncertainty is that gearboxes get changed around a lot, nothing is a guarantee, I have bought 4 or 5 gearboxes before now trying to find the right ratios, it's like big game hunting!

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

can you find out by serial number?

Not sure to be honest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast