Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The 1.5 - Back to the future.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    So the 3s-gte is coming together now, new bottom end and all new gaskets/seals.

Going for a simple white/black/silver theme to match the car.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Spent a half day on the 1.5, I swear I will get at least one car ready this year!

The engine is now 90% done...

On all 1.5s, the alternator is relocated to the Celica position with the Celica bracket, there is no room for it in the sw20 position. Part of that relocation means a tensioner must be made to tighten the belt. On very basic 1.5s it takes the form of a slotted bar that is manually levered into tension and locked off with a nut/bolt, identical to the 4a-ge way of doing it.

However it isn't the best system, and can work slack over time, so I made a manual adjuster out of a 3s-ge AC tensioner which bolted onto one of the lower block holes and with a quick cut and reweld of the support arm it works. I double checked the pulley alignment with both crank and alternator pulleys and I am within 1mm or so. I am using a new alternator I pulled from a 5s-fe Camry a few years ago.

So it's getting closer to installation time.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    ... and with a quick cut and reweld of the support arm it works. .
    By support arm do you mean that you have solid mounted the alternator then? Not a bad idea that...
    I'm never selling the 944
    - and now we wait!

Yes indeed Tommy, the alternator is now solidly mounted, the lower Celica bracket arm lines up with the pivot hole in the alt.... I just removed the alt hole threads, put some washers between the two and bolted it up, all adjustment is now done via the manual AC tensioner, it just looks neater I think.

Not just neater, snap acceleration will be countered, belt stretch automatically sorted, load switching will be slip free...

When you see how much a belt flexes on load and think to life without spring tensioners, its little wonder you had laminating belts all the time... An extreme version of what I mean as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NnMuyifPA4

So yea, a very worthwhile modification!
    I'm never selling the 944
    - and now we wait!

Engine now hanging in the bay, super clean and decluttered is the plan.

That's looking mighty fine. Great work Paul

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

very clean install indeed, however......we would expect nothing less!

Thanks chaps.

Those new style engine brackets are the dogs! they look more OEM than Mr T's
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast