Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The 1.5 - Back to the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos19810 View Post
    ...which made me part out my rev5 tubby within a week and start my own mk1.5 project!

Ah, say what?

The love had left me for the that car (rev5 shell rev3 tubby engine) so it had to go, I would of loved to have kept it or even sold if as one to someone else, but couldn't sell it so it had to be parted plus unneeded the engine for this project. No point having a car you no longer want sat on the drive.
    Last edited by Chaos19810; 04-04-2017 at 20:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Much respect to you for having the guts to have a go sir, 1.5s are not easy cars to build successfully.

Always here for help and advice if you need it.
    I might be calling on that help I've just finished making the front and rear torque mounts, the engine is nearly complete I just need to sort out the filler neck and chargercooler piping. Then I can take stock of where I am and start adding fluids :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos19810 View Post
    The love had left me for the that car (rev5 shell rev3 tubby engine) so it had to go, I would of loved to have kept it or even sold if as one to someone else, but couldn't sell it so it had to be parted plus unneeded the engine for this project. No point having a car you no longer want sat on the drive.
    rev5 shell rev3 engine I can understand - I thought you were talking rev5 - turbo body and engine!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    That's the same thing though isn't it? A rev5 shell with a rev3 engine is identical to a complete Rev5 turbo, no?

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    That's the same thing though isn't it? A rev5 shell with a rev3 engine is identical to a complete Rev5 turbo, no?
    Not to a purist who likes the vin to be accompanied by the original engine number. A car that rolled off the line as a rev5 turbo is always (for arguments sake same condition/miles on car) going to be of a higher value than a rev5 n/a conversion.

So unless the body is stuffed i'd think it would be silly to yank a rev5 turbo engine out of a rev5 body to do a 1.5 project. But hey, whoever owns the car can do what they want with it. Like that dickhead that decided to burn the sex pistols pieces, no appreciation of what he had but was free to do with it what he wanted.

Identical? No.

Oh right I was just coming at it from a mechanical point of view.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

How would you know what the original engine number is/was ??
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

I guess you wouldn't, it could have had a dozen engine changes during its life too... do the turbo models even say "turbo" on the V5?

Anyhoo on with the show... I am using the S54 gearbox on this 3s-gte, I prefer to go as light as possible on my own Mk1 builds, there is a risk of gearbox implosion yes, but being someone that can easily swap it out in under 2 hours I accept the risk over the weight reduction. Mk1 swaps also have a protection factor built in, in that they generally light the rear end up well before any transmission stress takes place, sometimes being 300kgs lighter than a Mk2 has its perks, but it is still a risk using it over the E153.

I have now fully built my new S54, with our famous Mk3 Torsen LSD mod. This particular gearbox is a bit special, having only 15k on it from new.

How she looked yesterday in the sun, you may notice no rear wing, which is off for Plumlifying.

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    How would you know what the original engine number is/was ??

I guess you'd have to go off the original registration papers, maybe saying the original engine number was a bit OCD, but same spec more to the point. But thats what the real fanatics and concours mob do for with classic cars - our will be one day!

Don't worry paul, there'll be some Wayne Carridi type in the future who makes a show about, 'Some guy in Durham who shoved v6's into small spaces'

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast