Thread: Swapping outer CV's

Swapping outer CV's

I have a spare set of SC axles, and a set of Turbo Axles.
    Is swapping the outer CV something that I can do at home? Or better to take it to a CV shop?
    I had a go at the SC axles with a block of wood and a hammer but doesn't seem to come off easy, is there a trick to getting them off?

Also how necessary is it to use the smaller 5sfe alternator + bracket? Can I modify the GTE bracket to use a 4age alternator?

So there are a couple tricks to getting them off...

There is a circlip that holds the CV on, taking the CV boots off and really getting the axle and CV clean of grease help to see what's going on.

You want to keep the outer CV parallel to the axle, and then give it a really good smack to loosen it up, you can then see the CV slides on the axle...

You then need to pray the circlip is positioned right or it will shear off. Then you need to smack it very hard with a bit of wood, till you see splines start to appear.

When you see the splines you can then gently tap it off, if all went well your circlip is in tack.

To put the outer CV back on is not too bad either.

I spent a good 30mins using screwdrivers trying to get the circlip to co-operate, but the trick is to use a cable tie around the circlip and really tighten it down.
    Then position the outer CV on the axle and give it a quick smack.

You can then cut the cable tie off and tap it the rest of the way home.

Also if you are doing it on the cheap, both supercharged aw11 auto and manual outer CVs seem to be the same, so you can probably pick up the AW11 SC auto axles cheaper second hand.

Its easier with a second pair of hands to split them. If you can hold it vertical. And use a rubber/ leather mallet on the cup...

But the cable tie trick. That is gold...I'll be keeping that trick in mind for future reference. Normally, I'd clamp the end vertical in the vice, and ease the clip in with a couple of screwdrivers and let the weight help slide it in....
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!