Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Wheel alignment?

DIY Wheel alignment?

Yay or nay?

Should I attempt it myself or go to a garage.

Would sooner buy the kit and do it myself if possible.

Feedback sought!
    Mk2 2GR-FE Trackday Weapon. Taxed, MOT'ed and insured! She's finished!

It can be done with 4 axle stands, a tape measure & some fishing line, a couple of curtain rods also help, but it does take a long long time. That really only checks toe-in, toe-out if you want to check chamber/caster etc then proper equipment is essential. Up here it's £60 for a four wheel alignment, although it bugs me it's a price I'll pay. As to having your own stuff you have to work out how often you're going to use it.

I pay less than that. In nzd....most here charge about 50 for a wheelie..

The diy method. Does not allow for enough variables. And with a car your likely to push into corners...is that really worth the risk?
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!

I think this is one of those things where the home brew version is never going to be as good.

Having said that, the 2GR has never been tracked, most of the suspension components are from other cars and the tyres were fitted by me. Drives straight and doesn't scrub or do anything weird.

I will probably get it tracked and setup properly, because in my experience (Mercedes E320 estate for one) the car will drive completely differently once done properly. A decent "wheelie" or "4 wheel alignment" as we would call it has lots of variables, plus you get a before and after so you can see how fucking hilariously far out your tracking was.

c.

Well after reading up on it this weekend, I could do it I think. But it's a lot of faffing around and would take me ages.

I got in touch with wheels-in-motion who do 4 wheel alignment in Chesham which is only a 20 min drive away, it'll cost £150 for a full setup from scratch. So once I've put my car back together (suspension all being refreshed / greased and un-seized) I'll be doing that.

We will of course expect a full report.

:)

c.

May be a while, nothing I do with the MR2 is particularly quick! Although I am determined to make more of an effort to drive it this year...

I wouldn't worry, i put the 2GR on SORN in November to start the Dino conversion.

So far I've removed the back lights, and thats only so i could stick them on the Blue Two.

:)

you could brobably dial in the camber fairly east using a digital inclinometer and a (very) level surface) not sure i would want to give toe angles a bash without the right gear

Go to one that uses the hunter alignment system my 2gr mk1 was hilariously out of whack to the point of if you were going left was fantastic but right was a knightmare, only one rear wheel was straight the rest \ so one of the reasons for the wheel wobble at 60mph like a shopping trolley going all over the place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast