Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: V8 Specific? Yeah- Here's A FORD and a Chrysler V8 in one Vehicle. HEMI #4 Build

V8 Specific? Yeah- Here's A FORD and a Chrysler V8 in one Vehicle. HEMI #4 Build

Ok, it's a bit complex this story of how I ended up with this stuff. Follow along, I'll try to be brief.

Sure- it seems like all the other builds. BUT- this one is different. My buddies dealership had a repo on a Durango. Yeah, you know- a repossession of a truck. Someone couldn't or wouldn't make the payments, so they came and repossessed it, or took it back. After the legal jump rope, he said we could use it as a donor vehicle, it didn't run. It was the good Durango- Hemi powered.
    Whatever happened to Hemi #3? The one I just finished?

He sold it to the same guy that owns Hemi #2, in Louisiana, USA. Now dig this:

The guy that bought Hemi #2, wanted another one so he and his wife could have a matching pair of AWD Hemi Internationals. He came back to Ohio to buy Hemi #3. My buddy also made a deal for his 1946 GMC 6 cylinder, manual transmission patina rusty truck, plus the complete body from a near perfect 1953 International truck. (this Hemi #2 guy was going to have me build it for him, but this deal came through and he jumped on board. Everyone wins.)

Long story short- I have a Hemi Durango AND THE BEST 1953 International R-110 I have seen to date.

I'll let the pictures do the talking from here, but I am starting with a video because it covers SO much more at the beginning of a thread. Enjoy, comment, share, like subscribe- whatever. (Jeez, I sound like a tv commercial, except most TV commercials aren't typing on a PC at 12:30pm, after at least 6 beers)
    Anyway- Here, enjoy :)

https://youtu.be/XxgzuyvnAqY

Last edited by Grenade; 29-10-2016 at 05:46.

6 beers at lunchtime, on a school day?

See? Did I mean PM? I don't know what I meant lol it was night time, dark outside, after bed time lol

Awesome, looking forward to another good build thread! I saw the Facebook video, that international looks really solid :-)

We pulled the Shelby GT Cobra engine & trans out of the back of the purple Durango- (we’ll cut that up later) to have a better look at it.

This is a 2007 Shelby GT V8, it’s a 4.6L mod motor from Ford. It makes about 350BHP, but it is LIGHT. It doesn’t feel like any HEMI V8 that I’ve been carting around, that’s for sure. A very light, balanced package with multiple ways to upgrade it for looks and power. Nice.

Once I separated the engine from the 5 speed gearbox, and knowing this was removed from a wrecked vehicle, I noticed something strange about the input shaft of the gearbox. It had some shiny metal spots, the hydraulic throwout bearing was leaking, and slightly off center. This was odd for a supposed low mile motor. I dug a little deeper:

It appears what happened was- during the crash, something struck the rear end so hard that it pushed the driveshaft towards the engine with such force that it slammed whatever endplay was built into the trans, so hard, that it broke itself out of the case at the clutch side! Crazy, in 30 years of working on stuff, I’d never seen that before.

The engine, is on the stand and I’ll get the wiring harness ready and do some “Show car” stuff to it, in between the Hemi #4 build and finishing this Subaru.
    Last edited by Grenade; 01-11-2016 at 00:50.

Put it in the Scooby

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
    Put it in the Scooby
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    I'm never selling the 944
    - and now we wait!

That really does look good Paul. Will this be more of a luxury interior like the last one?

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

This HEMI #4 might get a utilitarian style, we may go with an aviation theme, bomber seats etc- Not sure. Scooby first! The engine arrived today and while the GT engine would look sick SICK in the Scooby, I'd be wasting 2 good things chopping that up to fit.
    More later :) :) :)

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast