Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Another 3VZ-FE swap Byrney1984

Oh right, I see what you mean now. I thought you meant that the starter wire exited the loom at the other end of the engine. Either of those plugs actually go to the same place in the cammy, the fuse box next to the battery. The black/red wire never went to the dash, it went to a relay, same as we are doing with this now.

You will find a few wires like that as you work through, which is why there is so much guff at the beginning. Logic will always dictate, so if you test out a wire like you have done and that's definitely it, happy days.

It will be interesting to see your finished mount, people have tried to weld to the cast "oil rig" part before, but because of the heat treatment that doesn't work too well. One thing I would advise, is that when that mount is in the cammy it isn't load bearing, when it's in an mr2 it is, so make sure that sucker is tough.

As for the flywheel, there's been lots of discussion on the subject, a lightweight flywheel will spin up and slow down more, but a pig iron one will hold more momentum. I think the only winning value add is that a fiddy is better balanced. Most of the time you can't really tell the difference without opening the gearbox up and checking. People often sell V6's saying they have a fiddy, when in fact, they don't!

Interesting build though, loving your work.

:)

Chris.

I've an oil rig mount you can have for the cost of postage, it may be slightly out on alignment but it's probably a quick job for you to reweld it

Quote Originally Posted by thomp1983 View Post
    I've an oil rig mount you can have for the cost of postage, it may be slightly out on alignment but it's probably a quick job for you to reweld it
    Thanks for the offer, but I'll use my mount thanks pal.

Well after a couple of hours in between machine break-downs last night I managed to knock my mount up. this will bolt directly to the original camry "oil rig" mount ( as I see you call it) then straight on the the top of my slightly modified MR2 mount. I just have to weld the top plate up tonight in work. Then make the holes for the MR2 mount bolts

What do you all think?
    Last edited by byrney1984; 15-08-2018 at 23:55.

And it welded up. Just need to fit it on the car to mark the holes in the top. Just to save elongating the holes.

Once I've drilled it I'll treat it to a nice coat of glossy red.
    Last edited by byrney1984; 15-08-2018 at 23:56.

Looks great. I found a flywheel that fits on fleaybay for about 70 USD. I forget, but I think it was for a 1MZFE manual car, like a Solara. But anyway, drilling holes has worked great for years.
    As far as the (what I call front or upper) motor mount? I've used bits of round tubing, bits of square tubing, chopping down that aloominum 2 hole brace that comes in the camry and never done it the same way twice. I've used mounts off the shelf at the auto parts store by digging through the boxes and welded some drilled out plate to some scraps & made it work. Yours looks great, strong as hell, it'll be more than good.

I did spend a bit of time searching for the various flywheels that would fit but most are overseas and I want my poor MR 2 back. lol. I've seen a few diy mounts online and some amaze me that they hold the weight, but if it works then it works. My mount should be able to hold the weight ( I hope) I just can't wait to finish it. But I'm working nights this week so can't really do much at home and the only fab work left is my y pipe, but I need to make that whilst on the car so it lines up.

Nice work, that looks pretty good :thumbsup:

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

That is pretty good. The only tweak (if i may be so bold) is maybe some bracing at the top.

Yours may not need it, but it will just stop any twist towards the engine.

Nice welding, Byrney, not yours Chris

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast