Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: MR2 Turbo Restoration Barn find

It's not knackered. We checked it over with an engineering rule. Everything seems spot on. I see what you are saying, I'm gonna drop it off tomorrow after work.

Ok. I got the head back today. All is well. My next job is to remove and clean the valves and re seat, replace vale stem oil seals.

Im really struggling with the Turbo. I can either:
    1, buy a replacement and exchange my old one with MR2 ben.
    2, Buy a new one off Ebay and take a chance. There are two advertised one at £300 and a bit and the other at £400 and a bit. Are they just cheap crap that won't last 12 months though????? Who knows.
    3, send my turbo away to be re conditioned and have the ceramic wheels replaced with steel. This will only be a fraction cheaper than buying another exchange unit off MR2 Ben.
    I really don't know what to do.
    Also I can not get hold of another Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor to fit. I think Im gonna have to get a universal one.

I have ordered some blue silicone hose in various sizes, new timing belt kit and water pump...........

The build will continue this weekend>
    Thanks for Looking.

I spent a bit on tools and parts and what have you this week.
    I have also done a bit more on my day off.

Quick before and after.
    I fitted a brass brush wheel to my bench grinder. wrapped a bit of tape around the end of the valve and put it into my cordless hand drill.
    I have also re seated all the valves with some grinding paste.

I have also replaced all the Valve stem oil seals, replaced both cam shaft oil seals and refitted both camshafts, given them a squirt of oil.
    jobs a good un.

My plan now is to get a few more serviceable bits and pieces. There is a slight oil leak at the bottom of the engine, possibly wants a crank seal, or sump gasket. both will be getting replaced.
    I bought a de cat stainless down pipe today. I have purchased some blue silicone hoses. I have managed to find a new turbo at a decent price from a reputable retailer in Manchester. its nothing fancy just your standard CT 26. I will also be buying a stainless manifold and back box. as soon as I have all the parts here, me and my friend will put her back together.............
    I can't wait to get this car on the road.

I think these pictures speak for themselves. As you can see in ten years the car has covered 141KM due to its time sat in storage. ( its a shame the old MOTs were incorrectly registered as Miles and not KMs)
    first Job next is replace some coolant pipes that are old and past it, leaking slightly. Im just waiting on the arrival of more Blue water Hoses.
    Basically, its taken me since July 2016 to get her back on the road. A ton of cash, time, advice and hard work.
    Another MR2 Turbo saved from certain scrap yard death.
    The amount of compliments I have had from people who have seen the car is truly awesome.
    I now have this car and Japscrap as my toys........... I feel very lucky.
    Thanks for looking.

Epic win sir, never tackled an MR2 tubby before (other than to rip the engine out and fit a V6) so much respect to the size of your balls.

Engage smug hooning mode at all times, you've a lot to be proud of.

:)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567