Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: MR2 Turbo Restoration Barn find

Im on it. Me and a friend are going to sort it. I keep moaning because I don't have much time to myself as Im always working........... I now have the perfect excuse to knock my days down to 4 days driving every week.
    Chris, you know whats coming next don't you. Make sure your phone has plenty of battery life as Im gonna be pestering you on messenger.
    I will keep the photos coming once we get started on it.

lol, i know very little (well fuck all actually) about tubbys, but anything you need help with feel free to tap me up.

:)

c.

Most of the turbo long block is similar to the n/a.

A few coolant and oil lines on the outside change...cam profiles. And piston shape. Inside they look much the same otherwise.. Its the manifolds where its really obvious
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!

Thanks guys. I seen a very helpful 'how to' video on YouTube. Very interesting and informative. The bloke who made the video puts on this funny action adventure film type voice when doing the commentary. He sounds a bit like Duffman off the simpsons.
    Joking apart I have done a couple/ few head gasket jobs in the past so I should be ok with this. I will just have to take my time and if I get stuck, not be afraid to ask.
    Ok......... here goes..
    Wish me luck.
    I will post pictures later.

If you can do a head gaskets then an engine is't much more, it's just scarier but all the principles are the same, as you take things off, take photo's, label & put safe, not so safe that you can't find them though. Lots of margarine tubs and put the bits in, then take your time.

Make sure your bench is clean...fresh sheet of ply on top. And if your not working on it. Cover it....
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!

been busy today. painting some wheels for a friend. Then................ (you couldn't make this up) The Head Gasket went on my compressor!!!!!
    Spent a good while stripping it down. made a temporary gasket.
    I just spent an hour doing this...........

I have to say, I feel Im massively out of my depth with this. I will take my time and persevere............
    please stick around as I will need your guidance on this at some point.

Take lots of photos, make notes.

You'll be fine. :)

Sorry for my lack of updates.......
    I haven't had much time, heres why.

Parts box.

Parts Washer. plastic box and a pressure bottle full of solvent.

Inlet manifold caked in crap and injection system after clean up.

The amount of gunk and crap that was in and on this engine was unreal. I have spent ages cleaning the inside and outside of the head and manifold with petrol.
    I don't have any clean pictures of the head yet.
    When we took the head off, it was evident that the problem was caused by the water channels being blocked by what looked like rusty deposits, radweld and parts of failing gaskets. This was causing the problem with the pressure build up.

today I have pushed the car out of the garage, stuffed rags down all four bores, hammered the engine with degreaser and hit it with a decent pressure washer.

I can report that the turbo is goosed and needs replacing or reconditioning.
    I am replacing the entire exhaust system with stainless.
    I will be doing lots of overtime at work...............
    In the meantime, I am sending the head to be skimmed as soon as I have replaced the valve stem oil seals.

More info and pictures soon.
    Thanks for looking.

Personally I would have it skimmed/checked to see if it needs skimming before doing any work on it. If they come back saying it's goosed you've wasted your time

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast