Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MR2 Turbo Restoration Barn find

MR2 Turbo Restoration Barn find

I purchased this car off Ebay as a non runner. she's a 91 H Mr2 Turbo. The car has been off the road and dry stored for the last 9 years. I was absolutely delighted when the car was transported to my house and I was handed a folder containing
    Original Import uk cert
    Export Japan Cert
    Every single MOT certificate including all fail sheets, advisory sheets and MOT inspection lists.
    There is a fully documented service history, mostly main dealer Toyota.
    Every single penny that has been spent on the car for services, parts, tyres and MOTs has been documented.

Apart from the aftermarket wheels the car appears to be completely unmessed with and original. The blinds on the roof are there as are the bags to store them in behind the seats.
    heres a couple of pictures.

The first job was to get the car running. it appeared that the guy I bought it off had just replaced part after part not actually knowing why he was replacing them. After several consultations via messenger with the magnificent DR Chris Wood, he narrowed it down to the ignition relay, £5 from the scrap yard. I did have to refit the parts that the previous owner had fitted as the pins were bent on the new coil and not making a connection to the distributor.
    After lots of swearing, head scratching, removal of skin from knuckles and even more pestering Chris, the car started up and I must say considering it had not started for nearly 10 years, the engine sounded really well.
    I have since replaced the radiator, stripped out the dash and re assembled it as the previous owner had not put the car back together correctly, why he had the dash out is beyond me.

engine bay after a bit of a de grease and clean up.
    http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2016/10/53.jpg[/img]

engine plate after I sand blasted it and painted it up.

I then went and purchased a set of original wheels. I sand blasted them down in my cabinet, primed, painted with The exact same colour Toyota used and then clear coated them.

although the car is very solid and in a very good condition, the sills did appear to be rotten in the usual places. yesterday myself and 'The Wild Man of the Woods' made a start on replacing both sides. The sills are made with quite thick sheet metal, they fit perfectly and were only £60 a side. Bargain.

Last week I decided I was not going to do the paint. the car is going down to Uncle Wilkies body shop. Im doing all the prepping and stripping down and he will be doing the full respray. Im doing the car Clear over Base. I have already made a start on stripping her down.

I will post more when I make more progress. Thanks for looking.

one thing I forgot to mention was the mileage. She is showing 129k. I am 99% certain this is KM and not Miles as I nipped down to my uncles garage in the car to put her on the ramp so I could do a couple of jobs on her.
    I have to say the car drives absolutely fantastic. its nice and tight, very responsive. When I got back to my house the clock was showing 6 miles. theres no way its 3 miles to my uncles garage, i would have said its about a mile and a half.
    i have spoken to a guy i buy parts off that breaks these cars and he said the clocks will still be in KMs as they only change the face on the speedo. if this is true then the car only has about 80k miles covered.
    Result!

Well, yesterday she went into the paint shop. Expect lots of photos over the next few weeks

Heres a few more photos from today.
    I have stripped out all the rubbers from the roof. most of the interior trim has been removed in order for me to remove the roof spoiler. Uncle Wilky has been knocking out and filling a few small dents. we can not believe how straight and solid the car is.
    We should be in primer for next weekend. Stay tuned.

:) There is nothing better than a freshly painted TWO!

Very good, you keeping the colour the same?

Yeah. Same original super red with clear coat

all masked up and ready for the high build primer.

I spent all of Friday flatting down the car, bonnet, engine cover, boot and some other stuff........

After the flat down on Friday, I was completely and utterly fed up of the wonderful world of Toyota MR2s. I went out and got absolutely drunk as a Lord Friday Night.................
    unfortunately, on Saturday morning I was even more fed up as I had to go in to my mates garage and Mask the car up, I had a terrible hangover. This is how I left the car looking on Saturday.

There was also a cock up with the paint.
    I asked for Basecoat and they gave me 2K poly. As I have said I want the car doing in Clear over Base so I can not use the 2k.

I have 2 Litres of Super Red 2K poly for sale, if anybody is interested then let me know. I paid about £100 for it, so I could do with £75 back for it.....

Im off on Thursday and Friday, so expect more photos next week.

Thanks for looking

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast