Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4AGZE from AE92 into My AW

4AGZE from AE92 into My AW

Hi guys, been a while since I was active on here but life has got in the way of things and my mk1 has been stuck at my mates house for a little over a year now untouched.

However this week I got the car back to mine and when I have spare time I'm going to start trying to get it running again.

I'll try get some pics tomorrow as its now pretty dark outside, but here's the story so far.

Bought the mk1 as a stock hardtop probably about 3 years ago now. Drove it round for ages as my daily and it drove well, gave the non turbo supras a good run up the ranges here. Shows what lighter weight can do in the twisties, altho I did add a 12"sub and a few audio upgrades for fun. I don't beleive its running stock suspension as it seems lower and stiffer than all the stock mk1's I ever owned and behaved more like the mk1 with the PI springs and KYB inserts. Anyway it decided one day it was going to spin one of the bottom end bearings and die. Nursed it to my mates house with the view of putting something else in it but had no idea what at the time.

then along came the donors.......
    A nice little Lexus es300 1mz engine (had not been running for 3 years but that was because it just ran out of rego and the owner got a different car to play with instead.
    and
    a running AE92 with a DLI 4agze.

Unfortunatly the time and money in collecting all the parts along with having no access to welding gear and all the other things to make the swap possible the lexus got pushed aside for the AE92.

So we set into removing the old engine out of the aw and the engine out of the 92. All done no problems. Was just like I remembered, altho the last time I did this I had a 2post lift, this time I'm back rolling round on the floor. But at least its warmer here :)

Engine out, ripped the 4age into peices and kept some parts that may or may not be useful somepoint in the future. For now I'm just using the AWgearbox, see how it holds up if it gives up I still have the box from the AE92 I can try and fit instead.

Got the motor into the car, sat nicely on the mounts and called it a day. Had beers and celebrated getting a step closer to being back on the road. but then............

Me riding round on my bike all the time the car was off the road encoraged my boy Jake (who's supra was unregistered) to get his licence and buy a bike. followed by 4 other lads and every weekend we decided to go for a ride instead of work on the car. so thats where we stopped.

Now its back at my place and I can finally spend a bit of time when I'm free to try and get it running.

So this is the summary....

engine is in.
    Pretty much worked out what plumbing I need to do. Using the stock mr2 thermostat housing and a slightly shorter pipe 2 of the hoses will plumb in with no effort.
    The outlet with the 2 sensors on needs either an mr2 housing to be round or I just need to route a longer pipe to reach with a bend, should be easy enough.
    The hose that links to the radiator cap outlet is also in the wrong location. Altho I'm pretty sure I can just route a different pipe for that as well.

I'm going to try and find the ABV mod instructions and try and remove as many unneeded vacuum lines as I can. (not sure what yet but on club 4A I found a post that said the 2 vsv's that control the fuel pressure and something else I can't remember off hand can be removed along withh the metal pipe). I'll look into that a little more.

Another thing I found was the fuel lines, on the fuel rails the feed line comes off at a different angle and using the stock mk1 line, altho it would be the right length it looks like it might foul on some of the wiring loom, gotta look at that more tho, it might be a simple fix. Or I'll go get somewhere to make up a line with the ends I need.

Oh the aircon.... I'd really like to use aircon but it seems the mk1 compressor will not quite work with the ae92 mount and the lines on the car won't mount onto the compressor from the 92 due to location. So I'll just leave it disconnected until I can afford to get an aircon company to see if they can make some lines that work.

So I think thats most of the hardware side I have a good idea on whats going to work, I'm sure I'll find more as I hook into it.

The next issue will be the wiring.
    I still have to cut the 24pin ecu plug out of the AE92 but hey cutting it out is the easy part. Mating that to the body harness is going to be the annoying part as Icannot find any diagrams for the 24pin ECU, just for the 22pin. Does anyone know where I might find one. Anyone who has done this swap before, is it only this plug that needs connecting or do you know if there are any wires on the 10 pin and 18 pin plugs? I'm hoping not but you never know.

Other than that I need to work out what do do with all the power lines and splice them into the right location. The AW11 has the one fusebox in the bay with the AM1 and AM2 fuse, but this AE92 has the large powerlines going into a seperate fuse block of 3 fuses, AM1, AM2 and Alt (I think) need to check as theres no cover but pretty sure thats what it is. Hopefully its just a case of splicing some of those wires into the right location and remove one of the wires which looks like it runs power off into the AE92 body connector which I don't think I need to do. The AE92 appears to run some of the systems throught the engine loom that the mr2 doesn't, such as I have heard the wiper controls are on it somewhere, but I havn't got that far with it yet. I just want to get everything it needs before I start tearing apart the loom to get rid of connectors I don't know about. It's better to have an uncut loom to work with than one I hacked up without knowing what does what lol.

Only other thing I have is the intercooler location. For now until its running its just going to stay in the stock AE92 location, not ideal being on top of the engine but I'll change that as soon as I know everything else is done and the car drives again.

Anyway, I'm off to get some beer and relax so I can try and wake up before it gets too hot to be outside tomorrow. I'll Try and get some pics both for you guys and so I can remember what I'm doing lol.

Proper TwoBrutal stuff right there. We need more write ups like this.

And "rego" made me chuckle.

:)

What can I say I'm trying to get my Australian right before my citizenship test lol

It's not really brutal but out of all the mr2 forums, this is home. So it makes sense to me to document it here :)

Quote Originally Posted by Paff View Post
    What can I say I'm trying to get my Australian right before my citizenship test lol

It's not really brutal but out of all the mr2 forums, this is home. So it makes sense to me to document it here :)
    Talkin' Strayin is easy. Just remember that putting on a pair of fancy pants, your best thongs, paying the rego before heading down to the servo in your ute then heading home for a stubby (or tinnie) or two may leave some confused. Oh yes, 'rooting around in the house', that's different in Australia to other parts of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by aussieGT View Post
    Talkin' Strayin is easy. Just remember that putting on a pair of fancy pants, your best thongs, paying the rego before heading down to the servo in your ute then heading home for a stubby (or tinnie) or two may leave some confused. Oh yes, 'rooting around in the house', that's different in Australia to other parts of the world.
    and I did Welsh at school.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

I'm Welsh and I never learnt Welsh lol.

I've been here just over 7 years now so think I'll be alright. But I did just sell my ute, hmm maybe a bad move lol

Ok so as promised I got a few photos. Not great as my camera is dead so had to use the phone instead. However, this is the current situation.

The car looking a bit sorry for itself

Interior is not too bad, passenger seat is so far forward because the sub stops it going back much more lol

The SC lights I got sent from my stash in Wales some time ago.

The GZE and some of the spaghetti

The annoying power wiring I have to work out

The donor

The wheel I have going on it, for now anyway.

the current daily, 2.2 ST204

and the toy, well ok the daily really

So I have to try working out that power wiring and the ecu connection to the body loom of the mr2. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. I finally found what I beleive should be the correct ECU pinouts, just need to try and mate it to the car now.

I was going to work on it today but again its in the sun and too bloody hot, maybe in the arvo I'll get chance.

Ok so I got my camera working so have slightly better photos.

The progress so far...

This housing allows some of the coolant lines to work perfectly as they are and mounts to the original gearbox. The only pipe that was an issue is the small metal pipe you can see, it points in the wrong direction. No problem, take it off and turn it round, and now all pipes line up, its a bit of a squeeze and you have to put the larger pipe from the radiator line on first but thats about it. Just have to work out what I need to plu into it now lol.

As for the pipe mopunted to the engine which points the right direction I discovered that the stock pipe on the mk1 also fits if you manouver it around a little. It looks like a sharp bend but its not kinked so it should do the job, if I'm not happy in the end I'll just buy a longer flexible pipe and route it in a different way.

As I'm using the mk1 gearbox the gear linkages will line up perfectly as they are.

How it looks with the pipes connected and the metal pipe turned around, you can see you can get to the clamp through the hole in the battery tray easily so thats fine by me.

Again using a bit of spare pipe I think was attached to the AE92, the filler point can be connected, you do need to move the pipe from the front of the car and I'll have to make a bracket for the pipe to mount to but it works, how well I don't know but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough :)

I'll probably just wire the fan into a direct switch in the dash as I'll just run it all the time the car is running, it gets pretty warm here :)

Now these 2 pipes had me confused until I remembered the power steering lines on the V6 swap and realised its probably the same in the AE, so quick check under the bonnet and yep, thats what they seem to be. I'm assuming I can just blank off or loop the pipes together and ignore them.

The canisters are pretty much identical so I'll just lenthen the pipes and thats this job done

Someone in a previous time decided this thing with the wires coming out would be a good addition. I have no idea what it does or if it does what it does well so for ease of getting the car running I'll just delete it and run a new vacuum line.

I'm also not sure what I have to do with the thingy in the top middle with the adjuster just yet but I'm sure I'll get there :)

Now if anyone can help me out here, I think these are the bits I need to adapt to do the ABV modification, I'm going from memory from a long time ago so please bear with me :)

The lines are too short to mount them anywhere just yet but as I don't know what I'm going to do with them at the moment I'll ignore them for now.

I have no idea on these, getting close to the wiring stage so I might have to work it out soon :D

Now that little pipe, the one hidden in the bottom, I think thats the brake booster, theres no way it'll reach the pipe in the mr2 so I'll have to source a suitable pipe to use instead.

And now the sun is on everything so I quit, can't see for the water running off my head lol.

Altho earlier I did take both the mr2 and the ae92 fuel lines to the local hydraulic place and they are going to make up a pipe of the correct length utilising the end joints off each of them. Hopefully thats most of the plumbing sorted unless I'm missing some vacuum hoses. Still need to get a diagram to trace where there should and shouldn't be hoses but thats for another day. I'm gonna stop for now and have food, maybe even a beer.
    It feels weird doing an engine swap with no grinder involved lol.

not looking forward to this bit

I'll also have to get hold of a welder and plate up that hold in the boot floor.

and this is the exrtent of the rust on the rear arches, someone carried out a bad sprayjob somepoint in its past and the paint has cracked, this is all surface rust so weirdly I won't need to rebuild the arches. Not sure I'm used to that.

Anyhow thats it for now. Back in work tomorrow but if I get chance I'll rey and fit the fuel lines in when I get them back.

really really don't want to deal with the wiring lol

Quote Originally Posted by Paff View Post

I was going to work on it today but again its in the sun and too bloody hot, maybe in the arvo I'll get chance.
    Thats a nice collection you're building there. It's a real wife pleaser I bet!

Lol. luckily I had them all before I married her. And I sold the ute to buy the celica for her to learn to drive in. Told her I didn't want it so I bought it for her :D I just use the bike. I didn't post the picture with the other 3 bikes in the carport either :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast