Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Improving the MK3 Roadster TwoBrutal Style

Quote Originally Posted by vinp182 View Post
    I've never driven a V6'd mk3 so can't comment on that but the cutting of fire wall and subframe put me off that swap, I just couldn't bring myself to have that done to a car I've owned and loved for so long
    I really like to 2zz conversion. I've done 2 now and the engine suits the chassis perfectly IMO
    Thanks Vinny, you were actually one of the people I was going to PM on this as I've seen the race car and guessed you be able to give some sound advice.

I've also spoken to Pat (Headcase) and he recommended the 2ZZ because the weight and power delivery is better than the V6 lumps, he even said that he was giving Andy (Ayresyboy) a good run for his money when on the European trip when Andy had his 2GR and Pat had the 2ZZ and I have to agree I really want to drop a replacement in with little or no chassis mods. Also, Pat told me the same that the engine and chassis are a perfect match, so thanks for that :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by thomp1983
    Sensible option is probably a 2zz swap in the first instance and if that isn't enough then a 2gr swap later
    My thoughts exactly Chris, there is plenty of call for a decent 2ZZ so I wouldn't lose out on it and with talk of the 2GR bundle dropping in price it's something to look at for the future. As with all TB cars they are simply 'projects on wheels':icon_wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy
    I read that the pistons and rods are the weak link on the turbo'd 1zz the 2zz has stronger rods and can take a bit more power before blowing up!
    Same here, the power is much the same in both lumps low down but the 2ZZ is picks up from the mid range which is probably all I'd need for spirited road use as it won't be a track car. Once again the option of supercharging will give better low down power for regular driving but I can't help thinking that £4000 on top of the purchase price and engine swap can be justified for what is ultimately a runabout.

With the supercharger there is also the constant whine to consider but I've been in a car with Chris several times so I should easily overcome it :icon_razz:

Any other advice is welcomed, please keep the info coming guys. :thumbsup:

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Patrick (my bro) has not shut up about the 2ZZ conversion. He laughs at how much i spent on the 2GR build by comparison, and someone he spoke to with a Mk3 2GR said that if they had tried a 2ZZ before that, they would have gone that route instead.

Buy a Mk3, buy a T Sport, bring them here, bring Doombar. :)

c.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Buy a Mk3, buy a T Sport, bring them here, bring Doombar. :)

c.
    Nuff said, I'm on my way.

― Jay Leno

If you want any help drinking the Doombar or breaking stuff give me a shout. I'm well practiced at both.

Quote Originally Posted by ya_crow View Post
    If you want any help drinking the Doombar or breaking stuff give me a shout. I'm well practiced at both.
    Cheers Patrick, let's party on.

― Jay Leno

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Buy a Mk3, buy a T Sport
    You also get a really nice pair of seats to put in the MK3

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
    You also get a really nice pair of seats to put in the MK3
    It has already been noticed Alan :thumbsup:

Was contacted by someone today who is removing 2zz engine, gearbox , ECU loom etc from his MK3 to return his 1ZZ for turboing for race purposes. So watch this space.

― Jay Leno

If you have all the bits ready to go you can do the conversion in a day as well. No welding its just bolt off bolt on.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbydave View Post
    If you have all the bits ready to go you can do the conversion in a day as well. No welding its just bolt off bolt on.
    It should be Dave even if you upgrade the exhaust header and modify the exhaust but I'd most likely want to fit the LSD from the MK3 host gearbox. That said, I'd still imagine it could be done in 2 days max even when allowing for Doombar moments.

― Jay Leno

That shouldn't be a problem providing you have all the bits Headcase sells bridge mount, Manifold maf housing etc he even has the bungs and 27mm core plug in stock. Are you using a 6 speed box if not you will need the gearchange selector off one

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast