Thread: coolant issues

coolant issues

hey guys so ive been having an intermittent coolant leak on my rev1 tubby now originally i thought it would be the coolant diverter hoses to the oil cooler but seeing as they are both silicone pipes i would have thought that it would not be intermittent and would infact be a steady leak..

the reason i thought about the diverter hoses is because it is dripping onto the downpipe and causing some serious steam almost as if the car is on fire but then stops... and i know these hoses are a nightmare to do...

now im thinking it could possibly be a core plug on the intake side...

so im going to do both over the next few days and am looking for any help or tips to get this done swiftly as its my daily... im almost certain im going to drop the lump on the floor to do all this... but is there any way to do it in situe

any and all tips welcomed

cheers

It depends on what facilities you have, if a lift is available the I would imagine it could be done in situ but if it's on stands the lump will have to come out.

Whenrefilling with coolant ensure that the arse end is jacked up higher than the front for the air to rise, fill the system slowly and run the engine for 20 minutes or so after it is full. Don't forget to bleed the radiator and also the heater matrix from the frunk.

Good luck with it, get some pics of the repair (if you're not screaming or tearing your hair out :icon_smile:) and post them up to show others how to fix it.
    Last edited by Torero; 20-09-2016 at 14:40.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Would it not be better to find out exactly where the leak is before pulling the engine ? lot of work to find out when you put it back that your guesses were wrong and it's still leaking :icon_wink:
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Have you checked the usual suspects, hoses from hell?

Might be worth just jacking the back up a lil, running the engine up to temperature and seeing if you can get eyes on the leak first (or seeing if you can see any water marks on the block that might give away the culprit).

Intermittent leaking is odd though. Is it happening at any sort of specific time, like after a good blast that's got the coolant temperatures up a bit? Have seen that one a couple of times where a coolant hose clamp hasn't been done up quite tight enough, or when heater pipe hoses have been ever so slightly out of round when things like pliers have been used to grip the hoses to wiggle 'em off the hardpipes.
    It's a 2.0 inline four that thinks it's a viper v10. What's not to love?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
    Have you checked the usual suspects, hoses from hell?
    Also if its the hose from hell it might be pooling on top of the undertrays, so you may need to get in there and have a look. Get it on some ramps and get the trays off and walk the length of the car. It's gotta be going somewhere.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Also if its the hose from hell it might be pooling on top of the undertrays, so you may need to get in there and have a look. Get it on some ramps and get the trays off and walk the length of the car. It's gotta be going somewhere.

:)
    Trays are off and the leak seems to be dripping onto the downpipe when hot which in turn is causing the car to look like its on fire. I know Coolant diverter hoses are tucked away in there just can't get eyes on them it also looks as if there could small leak on the block from the core plugs on the intake side so it could mean both have failed�� Will get some pics and upload as soon as I have time.

While the engine is out I will be giving it a clean anyways so pulling the lump out is no issue however if this wasn't the plan i would completely agree with the comment about it being a lot of work for a guess.. Also gives me a chance to replace other tired hoses and components

Thanks for all your input though guys much appreciated