Thread: Questions on turbo charging my v6?

Questions on turbo charging my v6?

Hi everyone!i have a 92 mr2 and going to be swapping a 3vz-fe but before I assemble the engine I would need some answers from you mad scientists out there.lol.here it goes!

1.If I do a full factory rebuild on the 3vz-fe and then turbo charge it how much can I boost it up to?
    2.if I do a factory rebuild can I use the the factory computer or will I need a aftermarket engine management system?
    3.has anyone put ARP head studs on a 3vz-fe?

This is a few of many.thank you a million guys in advance!

-LosMR2

Okay I'll start the ball rolling not that I actually know the answers but that has never stopped me in the past,

Is there room to fit turbo's? I presume you are going to fit 2? 1 from each bank, or are you going to try to bring the exhausts together & go for a single, if so where is this going to be located?

Is this not why supercharges have been the preferred method?

You should be safe up to 5 psi on the standard ecu / fueling. I can't remember what the standard block can take but there's a few guys in the states who pushed the 3vz hard with boost. Consider intercooler, you can run remote turbo there is a couple of builds on here if you look at the older v6 threads...

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
    Okay I'll start the ball rolling not that I actually know the answers but that has never stopped me in the past,

Is there room to fit turbo's? I presume you are going to fit 2? 1 from each bank, or are you going to try to bring the exhausts together & go for a single, if so where is this going to be located?

Is this not why supercharges have been the preferred method?
    Hi,I'm going to be running single turbo and it's going to be around the area of the top of the transmission near the firewall I would say,once I take it to get fabricated we'll have a better idea but that's rufly the area I think.i also seen over some 3vz running a single turbo only on one bank...

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
    You should be safe up to 5 psi on the standard ecu / fueling. I can't remember what the standard block can take but there's a few guys in the states who pushed the 3vz hard with boost. Consider intercooler, you can run remote turbo there is a couple of builds on here if you look at the older v6 threads...
    Ok thanks!:-) how about if I build the engine for boost can I still run a standard ecu or will I have to upgrade?ive been looking for 3vz turbo threads but can't really find it,I guess I'm looking incorrectly.lol.

You will not get very far with the standard injectors and ecu, 5-7 psi is around the limit, I'm pretty sure the injectors will be the limiting factor. If you are going for forged pistons etc and you want to run more boost then you will need an aftermarket ecu to do it properly if the fueling isn't setup right your new engine won't last long :-)

I was planning on using 2jz injectors for better fuel ratio and upgrading to a walbro fuel pump to start with...