Thread: Sparks from the starter motor? Any idea

Sparks from the starter motor? Any idea

Hi everyone,

I have been making progress with my conversion and I tried to crank the engine and I noticed sparks from where the starter motor connects with the fly wheel. I can see this because the protective plate has been removed. Here's the strange part some times it will turn over (with sparks) then after 2-3 times it won't turn over. If I leave the car for 5-10 mins then it will turn over again with sparks. I have 4 earths coming of the engine 2 on the gearbox, 1 on the head and the last off the engine loom to the intake manifold.

Does anyone have any idea of what is going on?

Bad earth was the first thing I thought of...

How thick are the gearbox to body straps? Jump lead size?

In fact, can you connect a jump lead from the gearbox to a clean chassis point?

Is the gearbox bolted tight against the engine?
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

I'm not sure it's even possible but you haven't managed to run 12v through the workings of the starter motor making the cog live have you? Would that cause it to spark off the flywheel when it makes contact?

Yeah, poor earth strapping or the starter motor is on its way out.

C.

I tried the attaching a jump lead to the gearbox and the boot lock and this solved the sparks, I have added some more earths and relocated the old ones.

Thanks for the help