Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whos got a Jig in the midlands? or do i need a trip to Durham

Whos got a Jig in the midlands? or do i need a trip to Durham

I'm a bit far away from Woodsport to get the car there, especially as its got no engine. So does anybody have the 1.5 Jig in the midlands area? (its the same jig for a 3vz / 1mz correct?)

AND

Would said owner of the Jig / or anyone nearby be able to bring a set of mount plates + Weld them in for me?

I'm not the best welder, and they really need to be right first time.

Obviously I will pay for this service, and I've got a mig welder (unless you want to bring your own)

Otherwise, I'll save up a bit more and send it to woodsport ^^

Hi,

My brother has a jig, and he's in Neath, which might be a bit nearer. I doubt he will be able to supply and fit plates though (or dress and feed you!) Buy hey, learning to weld is half the fun. :)

wood_patrick - drop him a PM.

c.

Oh har har.

Learning new skills is one thing, but putting your life and dream car in the hands of an eBay welder and a few weekends is another. Would prefer someone who knows what they are doing to weld it proper.

But yeah, jig wise! Thanks, I'll give him a message.

Might get the plates cut by a cnc machine and then get a local welder to pop them in using the jig. Prolly the best thing.

+1 for the jig. Back in the old days we used to line them up manually.... Kids today, they don't know they're even born... :smiliesign::icon_mrgreen:
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Only joshing sir, we take regular pops at each other on TB, and as I regularly point out to people I'm British - if I don't like someone I just ignore them. If a British person is interacting with you willingly, it's a great compliment.

It's always good to do as much work yourself, that way you can point at it afterwards and feel proud.

But if you get the mounts cut, get the engine bay prepped ready (remove the old mounts etc) and get the jig setup, then you can probably get a local mobile mechanic / welder to come and weld them in place. That way you're keeping their time to a minimum.

:)

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Only joshing sir, we take regular pops at each other on TB, and as I regularly point out to people I'm British - if I don't like someone I just ignore them. If a British person is interacting with you willingly, it's a great compliment.

It's always good to do as much work yourself, that way you can point at it afterwards and feel proud.

But if you get the mounts cut, get the engine bay prepped ready (remove the old mounts etc) and get the jig setup, then you can probably get a local mobile mechanic / welder to come and weld them in place. That way you're keeping their time to a minimum.

:)

Chris.
    Cheers Chris.

Not used to people on the internet being like they are in real life XD so gotta get some getting used to ^^

But that's a good idea, and I spoke to my dad about it, and he knows a guy that will weld them in for me, for £20! Can't complain there!

I've just done through welding the mounts in, I was going to pay someone to weld some in but, I decided that there is so many other jobs that need welding that I just got some scrap and practiced lots then went for it. Mine are not pretty but they are in the rails are pretty forgiving and I just took my time and welded 1cm at a time it took forever but the confidence it gave me was huge.

mulling over a new idea.

Just because selling my Fiesta is starting to become a real thing (3 people looking at it in the last week 0.o)

SO i'm going to be engine shopping in a few weeks! and there doesn't seem to be any 3.0 camry's knocking about anywhere!

But there are lots of Celicas and other toyotas knocking about.

As I said in my build thread, I've never had more power than about 130bhp under my right foot. So any engine more than that will be enough.

I guess I also want something that is upgradable, so If i do get hungry for more I can just do some tuning / off the shelf performance mods.

I suppose I could look into a 1.5 swap...

I dunno, Should I hold out for a 3.0 camry and just drive a deawoo tacuma for a week (shudder)??

Or could I go 2zz-ge? be number 5 :D

Buy the 3vz project in the classifieds put it's engine in yours and break the shell to recoup some of the outlay

nah trouble is, car isn't ready for it yet (about 6 months away) so i need to be able to drive around in it for that time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast