Thread: 87 Mr2 boggs down after 10minn running

87 Mr2 boggs down after 10minn running

I have a rust free 87 Mr2. It runs great for 10minn and then boggs down, tightens up? will barely drive. Any ideas? Thanks
    Tim Ohio USA

Hi Tim and welcome to TB :thumbsup:

I think we need more information than 'tightens up' can you describe what happens in terms of acceleration and at what speed does it occur? Any strange noises or lights, possibly get a video posted up.

Also, model year engine size etc just in case there is a common fault that we can get you to check out or some basic checks.

As you can see from the other threads the guys on here are pretty hot on diagnosing issues

Strangely enough one of our moderators 'Grenade' is in Cleveland and he's pretty good to he may be able to offer some good advice to help you along.

Cheers,

John.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Thanks!
    It's a 1987 Mr2 Mk1
    1600 engine n\a
    automatic, hardtop

I'm 40minn from Cleveland :icon_razz:

it has 190,000miles

So when I was driving it was fine for about 3-5miles or 10minn. I noticed smoke, I went to pull over. I could fully press the gas and only go about 5mph. Got towed home.
    Today I ran it up and down the driveway. let run for 20minn. could feel hot water going thru radiator pipe. no mayo under oil cap. fluids still toped off.
    My plans are to tear it down and do a total restoration, sandblast and paint. My concern is if the engine is worth rebuilding at 190,000 miles.
    https://www.facebook.com/timhiser/vi...4037003614241/