Thread: Ridiculous wheel spacers

Icon9 Ridiculous wheel spacers

So, long ago I decided to do the JH Classics conversion on my car. After years of studies, I'm now done and ready to begin my build.

I have however encountered a worrying thing in my build. The custom built rims that goes with this wider bodied kit includes a set of spacers that are simply put, ridiculous. The rear spacers are 61mm "deep" (2,4 inches).

Now I'm a bit worried about my wheel bearings and my suspension setup. With the new setup the rear wheels will have a negative offset of about 55. I know that some offroaders have used 3" spacers without much headache, but our cars arent exactly offroaders.

Right. So here is the whole picture.
    All four rims are the same: 7x16 ET5
    The spacers are needed to make the cars wheels look right with the bodykit.
    Front spacers are 20mm.
    Rear spacers are 61mm.

My car is a 1991. I'm running Öhlins adjustable dampers, Eibach Sportline springs and Superpro bushings

As far as I can tell, people agree that the optimal setup for a MR2 is staggered setup. I'm currently working on getting in contact with a company that can widen the rims. I might potentially be able to get the rears to 8x16. This will move the center of the wheels a bit inward again. This way I also achieve the staggered setup: Front=7x16, Rear=8x16.

Right so it seems I'm going on the hunt for a company that can customize my suspension + a company that can customize my rims. Dang I really wasen't prepared for this sort of setback. Seems really poorly thought out by the creator of the kit.

Before I venture further into this crazy mission.
    Do any of you know of someone who could give me a qualified guess as to how screwed up my suspension geometry would be by just running the current setup? If we are talking very screwed up, to the point that every other aspect of setting up the suspension would be pointless, or just minorly screwed up, to the point that it wouldn't be the ideal autoX car?

Do you know of anyone that can look at the numbers and estimate how the car will respond to running the setup with the large spacers that was provided with the kit?

I emailed JH and asked him about this issue and this was the response: "There is no problem with the wheels, this is a standard practice and some cars run bigger hub adaptors. We have not had any reports of any problem over the five years of these car’s being built although I understand your concern.

When the car is finished you will need to reset the Geometry of the car see attached details.
    "

Here is the new suspension setup that he suggests:
    "1. Front toe 0 to 0.5 toe in Aim for Zero.

2. Front camber angle 0.5 to 0.75 degrees.

3. Rear toe 3 to 4 mm toe in.

4. Rear camber 1.25 to 1.75 degrees

Springs

Lower car height on springs so that the front and rear wheel arches, GRP

bodywork is 40mm from the top of the tyre.

Steering

Steering limit stops should be fitted inside the gaiters, on the inner tie

rods to stop the front tyres fouling in the wheel arch.
    "

Right now I'm just really looking for someone with the knowledge to tell me if running the spacers will dangorously screw up the suspension. I don't want to drive a car that will be a fast car, but can't handle a turn without spinning or sliding into the ditch.

I have Öhlins dampers, Eibach springs, poly bushes and so on.. I have a 2GRFE engine and a transmission with a Quaife LSD waiting to be installed. I really don't want all these nice things to be wasted because of this stupid suspension problem. :icon_cry:

Hi Ace,

I've got a Mk2 2GR and i'm awaiting my body kit (home build) from John at JH Classics. I have been pondering these same issues, but to be honest my setup is nowhere near as sexy as yours. I'm running MR2 Turbo (Bilsteins) and Eibach springs all round. It drives fine to be honest, but those rear spacers made my eyes pop out.

I don't think you will have too much trouble, but someone to ask would be Terry "ElTel" - He owns a 3VZ Mk2 conversion that i did and i know for a fact that he's been on the track a few times giving it the beans. I'm sure he would be happy to share his thoughts and experiences.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/sho...SMALL-WORLD%21

And as far as i know there are no 2GR Dino replicas, so the race is on. :)

Chris.

Well I've run some 20 25 30 and 40mm hubcentric adapters without bad handling, all so I could use a staggered 16x9 rear and 16x7 front tyre to fill the arch, I've lowered my mk1 by 40mm as well polybushed new tie rods drop links and haven't had a hub bearing fail yet.
    I do drag race the 2gr and it just keeps going, if jh hasn't had any problems with the cars or you can get a custom wheel maker to make offset deep dish wheels I would go that way (they do cost a packet though).

And let's be honest you may rag the dino but are you doing auto cross or the traffic light gp in it, that's a lot of money to to bin into a hedge at the end of the day fit the wheels you've got drive the tits of the thing if you don't like it change it if some thing brakes fix it, otherwise you will be worrying the rest of your life over the small stuff

After speaking to Alex W on the MR2OC forum, I'm contemplating going for a coilover setup to get the most adjustability, to be able to dial in the suspension when the time comes. At least it makes sense to me right now, we'll see.

Good to hear I'm not alone with these "dark suspension thoughts" Chris. About the, being the first 2GR Dino.. I think you'll be taking that trophy by a mile. I'm still in the process of stripping the entire car, having all brackets, bolts, nuts, so on electro galvanized, rebuilding steering rack..... and so on. The aim is to do the car up like a completely new one. So it'll be a looong time before my car hits the streets. Did you opt for the GTs or GT?

Also, how much will you be lowering the car for the wheels to fit the new wheel-arch lines?

On a side note, I've located this company in Germany which has been rebuilding, widening and shortening rims for many years. I'm considering having the rear rims widened inwards to move the centerline just a bit back towards the hubs. This would also mean running a staggered setup.
    The company: http://www.rindt-felgen.com/index.html

snowtigger.. I won't be running any auto cross no, but the thought of having some nice suspension bits which aren't doing anything for the car because of some other issue, would be really crazy to me. If the suspension has an issue which means it will never be able to handle well, I may aswell use cheaper suspension bits all around.

I can chuck a V6 in over a weekend, but bodywork? Might be a while. :)

I went with a GT. I'm planning on building it, and probably making a few subtle tweaks. Wheels I'm not decided on, but I want the wheels and tyres to sit nicely in the arches.

Stay tuned. ;)

C.

Hi again Chris. How is the "Dino" coming along? Do you by any chance know whats going on with John Hurst? His website seems to be down. Is he still around?
    Also, I tried contacting Terry (ElTel) about his track experience with the converted car. Unfortunately I never got an answer from him. Do you by any chance know him? It would be great to get in contact with someone who has experienced what the finished car is like.

Hi there! Done a bit of trimming and test fitting, but i actually had one of John's cars in my garage for a few weeks which meant i couldn't make a mess! He was here last week, and i think he may have been doing some upgrades on the website. I've texted him to let him know.

I saw Terry at the car meet in our village before Xmas but not heard from him since. I might have a number for him. He was pretty chuffed with his track days though, sent me a lot of pics of "project BBQ" as i named it.

:)

Sent from my Pixel XL so I'm probably on the loo. :)

Oh okay. Good to hear the site is only down due to being worked on.
    I'd be very interested in any pictures you have of the converted cars as I could do with a bit of motivation to get on with the work on my car :-)

I'd also be very interested in getting in contact with Terry, to hear about his track experience if he'd be willing to share.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Oh okay. Good to hear the site is only down due to being worked on.
    I'd be very interested in any pictures you have of the converted cars as I could do with a bit of motivation to get on with the work on my car :-)

I'd also be very interested in getting in contact with Terry, to hear about his track experience if he'd be willing to share.
    Hi, bumped into Terry this morning, such a nice guy.

Pm me and i can pass on his contact details (now i have them!)

Chris.