Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: coolant hoses keep popping off

I wouldn't. I've owned a butt load of Mk2's, and swapped most of them to V6, and only ever done two rads.

The fact that its blowing hoses / rads is a symptom of it over pressurising. I would shove the bodged one back on (i love to bodge) and resolve the issue with the hoses popping off, then fit a half decent one. I bought this type off of the eBay, works just fine.

c.

Shame you are so far darn sarf, I have both compression & leakdown testers here

I stuck the Koyo back on but the last person to bleed it kindly mashed the bleed valve for me, so I've had to fudge it for now with an o-ring from my scuba spares box.

Got it refilled and bled and left it idling for a while, took about 15/20 mins of idling on the driveway before the fan kicked in for 30 seconds. Kept an eye out for leaks and signs of hoses coming loose, but everything seemed to be behaving, which is good because I'm eager to give these coil overs a good blast.

Been looking fit another rad, does anyone know if a celica rad will slot straight in? Not much around on the eBay in terms of roadster rads.

The £30 one looks the same as the one I put on a couple of months ago, it was only 15mm thick. In my search I found an old thread by the previous owner who said he put the Koyo on because the standard rad wasn't up to the job, so I think a larger rad is definitely needed on it.

So I've had the Koyo back on for a couple of weeks and haven't had any hose issues. Coolant temp is 100C after my drive in to work. I noticed the fans are still kicking in, which is odd because that never used to happen. I'm wondering if that was because maybe they weren't plugged in properly before I swapped rads over?

I haven't had chance to get compression test done yet, but it's on my list of jobs to do.

Glad to read you're sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you've nailed it.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

I picked up a cheap (£100) large alloy rad off the eBay. I couldn't find an MR2 one so took a punt on a celica one. only things I had to dick around with was to blank off the outlet for the expansion bottle, and do some hose jiggery pokery because one hose outlet is about 100mm lower than on the MR2 rad, and points downwards. I've managed to get those hose on just about, but I'll be getting some new hose asap for that bit. probably use a couple of 90 degree bends to solve that one. other than that, it slotted straight in.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast