Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braking D3

Braking D3

After detailing D3 a week ago, I was almost reluctant to take it out yesterday. However, the fine weather and the opportunity of a 150 mile round trip through Chiltern country proved irresistible.

Whilst I had a fantastic time, the long trip exposed a couple of weaknesses with the car.

The first is a vibration through the steering column between 45mph & 65mph (ish). Bearable on a short trip but tiring on a long stretch. Could be one of several things (including brakes).

The second weakness is my brakes. My ST165 twinpot front and 22V turbo rears are better than stock but not as refined as they should be as I found when braking sharply on the motorway and drifting severely left.

I recall using a mixture of new and used parts. I think it's time to freshen up the brakes throughout.

This brings me to my question:

I read recently (I think) that I could bolt on a Mk2 Rev2 (non ABS) brake master cylinder onto my Mk1b.

Have I got that right?

Please could someone post a photo so I know what I'm looking for?

Is this the right thing?:... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272237187303

Any distinguishing features to look out for?

Is it ONLY Rev2 or would Rev2-and-upwards work?

And whilst I'm at it, I'm looking for a second pair of Mk2 Turbo rear caliper carriers/mountings which I can refurb before removing mine. I notice that all later Mk2s use 22V calipers. Are these THE SAME as Mk2 Turbo?

Please get in touch if you can point me towards a pair.

Finally, any recommendations for pads beyond EBC?

Many thanks in advance
    D2W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Pm me your address and I will send you a mk2 master cylinder on the house sir.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Wow Paul. That's astonishingly generous of you. Thank you very much indeed.

You've saved me from making another amateur cockup.

PM on the way.

How long are you planning on being? I've a pair of rear calipers I won't be using for the next month or so you can have the carriers off them and send me your old ones when you remove them

Chris

Fantastic Chris. That's another great offer. Thank you.

A month sounds quite achievable. I should warn you though, before you commit, about my carriers. They are perfectly functional but a dreadful shade of Foremans' Overalls blue.

Does that pose any obstacle to you?

(Naturally, I'll cover shipping each way.)

Mine are a blue of some description too as it happens. I'll be getting them shot blasted at some point so it's not and issue drop me a pm with your address and I'll get them posted

Chris

Brilliant. Thank you Chris. PM on the way.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I didn't get that PM sir?

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Oh. Thanks Paul. Will try again. (?) [emoji15]

Think I've sussed it. First time I used "TapaTalk" messaging. This time I used Tapatalk-Forum messaging. Obvious really. Cannot believe I didn't spot that first time! [emoji54]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast