thread: What do we know about Mx5's?

Nov 2005
    Liverpool/Manchester

What do we know about Mx5's?

Well I'm still contemplating building an mx5 based kit car / rebody. I'm wondering what advice people on here have on mk1 or mk2 Mx5's and possible engine swaps? I'm thinking mk2 mx5 as they're cheap and rust free and despite being a bit gay, I'll be doing a rebody on it so it's irrelevant.

Rx8s are also dirt cheap so I was thinking about an engine swap, 200+ bhp in an mx5 weighing under a ton should be a blast?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Sep 2007
    stockport
    I've toyed with the rx8 swop, the renesis engine is not very reliable that's why the rx8 are cheap as they cost a fortune to fix, people even fit the early rx7 engine into the 8 or fit the v8 Lexus same as some mx5 kit car conversions, have a look at the Austin Healy 3000 look alike on an mx5 think its the mk3 though beautiful car and worth money if done right.

Oct 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Im pretty sure that when you refer to Mk1 and Mk2 you mean the first gen pop up headlights (Mk1) and the fixed headlights for the Mk2 (and understand why you refer to it being the gay looking one lol).

If that's the case and you are looking at a Mk2, then there are guys in the states even dropping in LS1 motors if you feel that way inclined. I have seen 1JZ/2JZ also stuffed in but that required some more modification of the frame to fit all the components compared to an LS1. The guys on Mighty Car Mods did a simple turbo install on a Mk1 so there is that option too. It all depends on how much different the 'new body' will be over the MX5 one as to comparing other engine swap examples.

This guy did a great series on all that is required to do a LS1 conversion and surprisingly there was only minimal mods required to the frame to make it fit - this is Video 1 of 13 in the series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDMrJhpeYiE

Funnily enough I have just bought an MX5 mk2 to do a rebody kit car.

I am going to go for the Tribute MX250 kit.

The LS conversions are quite popular but if you get the 1.8 there are turbo kits available.

Nov 2005
    Liverpool/Manchester
    Funnily enough I have just bought an MX5 mk2 to do a rebody kit car.

I am going to go for the Tribute MX250 kit.

The LS conversions are quite popular but if you get the 1.8 there are turbo kits available.
    Oof please put a build thread on here, I'm considering the same route. Having been to look at a couple the build quality and Base cars have been pretty bad so I'm considering building from scratch.

Aug 2007
    1uz conversions popular too.

Oof please put a build thread on here, I'm considering the same route. Having been to look at a couple the build quality and Base cars have been pretty bad so I'm considering building from scratch.

I will, it will be next year I think as the basecar I bought ended up being a bit better than I had originally planned.

All the cheap basecars either had a million miles on them or had very corrosion on the rear 3/4 (Very common problem).

So for a little bit more I came across a mint mk2 with low mileage no corrosion, full MOT, Roof Style Bats and windbreaker.

So I am going to enjoy it for a year before I start the build.

Here are a couple pics of mine.

Nov 2005
    Liverpool/Manchester
    Looks too tidy to chop up that does, what do you think about engine options? Have you got the kit yet?

Nov 2005
    Liverpool/Manchester
    I saw that kit too, looks like a lot of work and I think I prefer the classic looking kits. I was considering a Mev kit but I don't think they make it now.

•