thread: Project Phoenix - A barn find story

Apr 2016
    Shropshire
    Now I've studied MK1s for enough time, I agree. The OEM+ look really suits them. It's like they got the style correct the first time!

Might be interested in the BC rep lip in the future Paul, but first I've got those little front panels to find, and your front arches to bolt on when it all lines up ^^

Then I've got at least a month of sanding, priming, filling, and more sanding!

Might buy some blue paint after that!

Jan 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Exactly what ones are you missing? I'm breaking mine, can shove you as much as you need in a box for shipping..

Apr 2016
    Shropshire
    Exactly what ones are you missing? I'm breaking mine, can shove you as much as you need in a box for shipping..

https://mr2-ben.co.uk/products/1103

Those. Going to do the brackets with stainless penny washers ^^

May 2015
    United Kingdom
    I sitll have some rev5 speed flaps if you want them bro? Dunno how much good they will be on the mk1 like but hey ho.

Apr 2016
    Shropshire
    Started painting today. Bit of hard work, and effort, dismantling the car ready to put onto stands, truss, poles, benches... pretty much anything i had lying around that fit the bill.

You just don't realise how many pieces there are... untill you put them on the floor

Masked up the car

And made a modern art sculpture in my tent XD

I call it "foreshadowing"

Off to BTCC tomorrow! See you there if you're going!

Loz out.

Apr 2016
    Shropshire
    Question for everyone who has an opinion.

Original paint colour. Porsche adriatic blue
    Revised paint colour. Ford Nitrous Blue

NOW

BMW Estoril Blue. 2k paint.

Anyone else have any other opinions?

Remember I'm painting on the drive, so its got to be minimal difficulty (not lots of stages) and a light blue that "pops"

Jan 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Nitrous Blue has the most visual impact IMO, depends what it is you want from the paint. Estoril is more of a deeper exotic colour, some may say classier than the max power effect of the Nitrous Blue.

Also, consider the lacquer as well. Nitrous with a flat lacquer would give the satin effect many fancy cars are all about these days, but a wet look lacquer on Estoril will almost have Hot Rod levels of depth and impact to it.

Apr 2016
    Shropshire
    I totally agree.

I do really want to do Nitrous blue, but the cost of the paint is almost triple that of Estoril. It's also super complicated as its a 3 stage metallic cellulose, so painting that on my drive is going to be really difficult.

Whereas Estoril is 2K, and has a 2 min flash time, so it's going to be much easier to do, and will have less crap in it.

I love your recommendation on the lacquer though, wet look is going to make it so awesome. I've not seen the flat lacquer before, will check out some pictures.

Oct 2017
    Harrogate
    Just been catching up on this build. Some awesome work there. Well done.
    I agree the Nitrous blue is nicer but the Estoril is still a very nice colour, I think i know someone who has a MK1 in Estoril blue, will try dig out a pic for you.

Apr 2016
    Shropshire
    Hi all, quick update.

Going with Mustang colour - Grabber Blue

I've bought the paint, and I'm about 2 weeks away from spraying colour. Excited!!

Question 1:

Anyone got a spare mk1 driveshaft (I need to cut the spline off so I can send it to get patterned to make my driveshafts)

Question 2:

Where can I find the rubber trim for the side skirts? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I want a few meters because I need to go around my arches and the front lip too.

The bit that stops water going behind it, and is has some adhesive on it.