Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 1mzfe project

My 1mzfe project

Well i couldn't have picked a worse week to book off work to start this. its pissed it down all week and with my tiny garage and drive it means ive got nowhere near as much as i wanted to done.

this is the shopping list ive been working from

1MZ-FE Going into an N/A car

The 1mz-fe engine:
    - Complete head and block
    - Intake manifold & intake pipes
    - AIT sensor
    - Exhaust manifold
    - Alternator
    - Injectors
    - Throttle body
    (complete engine & loom basically)

Transmission:
    - 8 flywheel bolts (mk1 MR2 part # 90105-10076)
    - Mk2 N/A Drive shafts
    - Mk2 MR2 gearbox N/A
    - N/A clutch
    - Modified N/A Flywheel
    - MR2 Speed sensor

Exhaust:
    - Camry T-pipe
    - 2" Piping to the muffler
    - An exhaust silencer

Electrical:
    - Camry ECU
    - Camry loom (including the infamous 4th plug)
    - Fuseboard from rev counter
    - Transponder (next to ECU)
    - Transponder wiring plugs from body loom
    - Gold block (about 1" cubed)
    - ignition barrel coil ring
    - MR2 loom (to butcher to fit the speed sensor & connectors in fusebox)

Misc:
    - 6 rib poly V belt Gates part # 6PK938 (if not using air-con)
    - Turbo Fuel pump (or walbro unit)
    - woodsport engine mount

Fluids:
    - Engine oil & filter
    - Gearbox fluid
    - Forlife Coolant

Recommended extras:
    - Timing belt (easy to do with the engine out)
    - Spark plugs
    - Performance air filter
    - Head gasket set
    - Waterpump & thermostat
    - Belt tensioners

a few questions about this list:

will the modified N/A flywheel and N/A clutch handle the power of the standard 1mzfe ive read that it wont if im going for more power but seeing as i dont intend on doing anymore engine mods will it be ok.

what is the infamous 4th plug on the loom.

what and where is the gold block.

anyway heres the car its eventually going in

car.jpg

i bought her from a guy up in Preston for 200 notes as he thought the head-gasket had gone turns out he had been filling the coolant at the header tank and was over filling it making it boil over. since owning her ive changed all bushes for superpro poly bushes, fitted a pipercross viper air filter and hsd coilovers.

so last month i bought a 1997 camry v6 (1mzfe) for 500 quid with full service history and 180000 miles on the clock seemed alot before i went to pick it up but the whole car was in mint condition looked like a car that had done more like 50000.

and this week i finally got round to starting the removal of engine which was pretty straight forward after i finally built up the courage to get the angle grinder out (first time in 14 moths, nearly lost my finger to one)

big hole.jpgengine and gbox.jpg

hopefully ill be getting more done today but need to go bolt shopping first for some bolts long enough get engine on to stand.

Welcome.

You don't need anything from the camry tacho you modify the mr2 one.

Clutch personally id be finding a turbo flywheel and pressure plate but if your fitting it all this week use the n/a stuff it's not that bad to swap the clutch out later.

Ive a turbo fuel pump here you can have for postage if you've not got one yet

I thought in order to modify the mr2 tacho i needed the pcb from camry to fit to mr2 one. Also im good for a pump cheers for the offer thoh. All i still need to buy from above list is clutch whichever route gets the best reviews. I was planning on doing it all this week but im in no rush as insurance isnt up for renewal till the end of the month.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    No the Camry board results in a tacho that isn't accurate at all, a quick link wire and a 10k adjustable pot soldered into your Mr2 PCB is all that's needed to get it perfect. I must do a "how to" on this subject as Sengs links are going dead.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

The gold block is on the steering column next to the ignition barrel. It should all be connected with the transponder ring / sensor on the barrel.

Also get as much wire with plugs as you can, the engine ECU plugs and the immobiliser ECU.

C.

Good to know about the tacho does anyone know if there is a guide for this around already.

That explains why i couldnt find the block then aint started on inside the camry yet and i was told it was under the battery tray by someone how wrong could they be.

Yea ive been getting as much complete loom as possible its easier to cut away excess rather than wore in whats missing.

Does anyone know where i might be able to get a turbo flywheel as if i can get one i may as well go that route rather than rushing and having to redo at some point.

Ill post some pictures of the tacho mod later on

Quote Originally Posted by thomp1983 View Post
    Ill post some pictures of the tacho mod later on

Cheers

What a waste of a day had to go 30 miles to nearest place that stocked metric fine bolts so i could get engine onto stand. Stripped engine of all aux's and then relised i forgot to crack crank pully bolt while it was still in car. So now unless anyone has any smart ideas i need to go another 30 miles tomorrow to pick my welder up from parents to make a tool to hold crank pully on the 2 8mm bolt holes.

so here we are 2 years after i started what was going to be a week long project and i am still no further along but got back on the war trail at the weekend so should have it done this summer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast