Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Advice on whether to carry on or not

Just had bumper off in the snow, mine are definitely better than yours

They both need some work but way less than what you've got you can have them for postage cost

Surely that lot will polish out?

Sorry. Not helpful

The fact is all these cars are old and original ones are rusty. None are "economical to repair" in the financial sense.

So it's a question of love. If you're in love with this car in particular then you're stuck with it. Go to work on it.

If not then maybe you could at least look at a few other cars and compare their condition to your car. They might be farther gone or you may turn up a minter. But it doesn't hurt (cost) to go and look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see some rust there in places that I dont usually see rust. So I am guessing that it is far far worse in the classic places, which in my experience (4 MR2s) would be :
    1 - sills, especially at the rear end
    2 - rear wheel arch where it meets the floor and the sill end
    3 - inner sills
    4 - round the edge of the boot floor
    You would definitely find out a lot more if you spent an hour stabbing at these areas with a screwdriver and viewing the results with the most powerful light you posess. If they are solid, its highly unlikely you should abandon this car. If they are mostly good, then assume theres twice as much of a problem as you have found and start your work in those areas (dont start on the easiest part if you havent decided whether to carry on).If, as I suspect, they collapse into a pile of rust on the floor - realistically its finished. I have a workshop, lots of experience, lots of equi[ment and lots of time and having just done a sill, part inner sill and wheelarch, I wouldn't want to do it again anytime soon. And that was on a tidy car that runs perfectly and has zero other issues.

So I would just like to say thank you for the advice so far and the kind offer of the rear arches. I'm going to have a stab about it at the weekend if I can to see how bad it is and if to bad I may seek a cleaner example and go from there.

I have since found rust under the drivers carpet as the sound deadening had lifted I wondered why and now I know

Hi all I have definitely been defeated by this and as a result have brought another and will post pictures when it gets delivered on Thursday

Thank you all for the help offered and advice

I have a mint one sitting in the shed that is worth next to nothing even as scrap(like I got $36 for the complete shell last time with bottom arms and OEM zorst and a few other bits)

and as we don't salt our roads, the whole shell is virtually untouched by that nasty iron oxide you all seem to get, if you want any cuttings(other than sills and off side a pillar), I can send for postage to you guys if your keen:)dunno how bad cost would be. but there are international freight calculators if we know rough weights and dimensions.....
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234