Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY Digital gear display

That makes much more sense, just on a quick glance your display is showing N
    I'll have proper look later and make sure, if you list which switches are made in each gear I can check that as well
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board, there are more problems, the light blue path between the far left and far right gate switches is lighting up 3rd and Neutral at the same time..... there are other issues too.

It doesn't quite work.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

whats this like a computer rubbish??

it is. just simple.....not a good job........yet

you will get there.
    Last edited by sketchy; 27-03-2016 at 18:40.
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!

If only it worked! I feel it's close, maybe a path or two to re-route.....

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

You may need some of this:

The circuit itself is safe, but needs bugs ironing out to make the logic correct.

Needs a few more hours on it!

Well i ditched the original design entirely, too many switches, too many relays, and just too complicated, there were circuits feeding back onto relays all over the place.

This new logic circuit has taken me around 3 hours, it uses a 3 position rotary switch which will be mounted on my gate selector shaft at the gearstick end, which will then point at the 1st/2nd gate, 3rd/Neutral/4th gate or 5th/6th gate. The earth supply path to this switch is controlled by a separate relay that also switches the forward signal off to the gear relays themselves.

I've also got it to display Neutral far more simply by running the Forward/Back switches in series.

It now only uses 4 relays instead of 5, and 2 microswitches instead of 4.

I have checked the logic and it seems to be correct, if anyone can see an error in it please let me know as it's an absolute mindbender to follow through!

I'm studying the logic like a madman here expecting to find a fault with this circuit, but it all looks like it's behaving itself, only one slight query i have, maybe Jimi can answer....

Look at the light blue wire joining all of the relays together, on the top three it's on pin 85, on the ground control relay it's on pin 87A.... that relay (when not energised) is allowing 87A to run to pin 30 and up to the rotary switch and into whatever gear relay it is pointing at.

So my question, in this state, is there any current running from pin 86 on the top three relays through the solenoid and out at pin 85?

My concern is if there is a current, it will blow the 7 segment display, the internet tells me 150ma will be seen across the solenoid, is that enough to cause a problem?

Secondly, would adding a diode at pin 87A on the ground control relay fix that (if it needs fixing at all) ?

I'm good with relays and switches, but not very clued up on electronic components.

Nicely done Paul, that looks like it will work OK and the logic seems sound, going by your drawing Neutral is indicating at the moment.
    Forward stick will give you 1st, 3rd and 5th (depending on the rotary switch position) and backward stick will give you 2nd.4th and 6th (depending on the rotary switch position)
    To answer your concern there's only current through 87A / 30 on the ground control relay when you close com / A on the forward stick switch. When in neutral it can't flow back through the rotary switch for 2 reasons, it's + -> + and your 7 segment displays are LED's so will block flow in that direction. If you want extra protection put a diode in at the common leg (purple) of the rotary switch with the polarity bar facing away from the switch and that will block any possible back feed.
    Edit
    Are you not having Reverse indication ?
    Last edited by jimi; 29-03-2016 at 07:05.
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast