Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: handbrake help needed aw11

handbrake help needed aw11

Hi all, my car has had a new brake caliper and handbrake cables for its MOT. And now I have a handbrake that is at the absolute top of its travel and I'd like it to work properly, I know there's a very good guide on the Web (by jimi I think) and I'm happy to have a tinker, but where brakes are concerned on my only car I prefer to leave it to those more seasoned..

Long story short I took it back to the garage where fitted the caliper and passed it's MOT and they've adjusted the cables, however after reading the guide it's clear there's a bit more to this process as opposed to just tightening a cable. There's windback windery and precision involved, and I am far from a precise individual.. The garage says the new caliper isn't working and neither is the old one, in the exact same way, which is unlikely.. But I couldn't be arsed arguing and would rather put my car in the hands of people that know these cars, rather than someone taking a wild stab at it, which gets pricey.

So my question is this, are there any fairly local TB members based in Northamptonshire (I'm in corby) who could help me out with this. I'm happy to travel to you obviously and get you a few tinnies or some money to express my gratitude!
    To be clear it's a 89 mk1 with standard brakes.
    (or if you could point me in the direction of a garage who knows these cars that would also be fine)

This isn't an urgent request as I'm not around for the next couple weeks. Thanks.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I've written many guides on this subject, it amazes me how garages manage to balls this up.

There is nothing wrong with your calipers, for them to suggest the new caliper is also faulty is ridiculous.

If you can be bothered to drive to Durham (it's nice here I promise), I will adjust and sort your handbrake for free in 20 minutes at no cost.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by adamstanford View Post
    I know there's a very good guide on the Web (by jimi I think)
    I only wrote a guide, it's Paul's tried and tested method :icon_wink:
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

I am planning a trip to Durham late this year to see you anyway, I need things like Cambelt, a touch of welding and obviously the brakes. Whilst it's mot'd and that I'll leave it until I've bought my house! But after that I'll book in for a touch of Woodsford magic I think. Thanks Paul, and jimi!

Woodsport... Not Woodsford. Phone correcting me!

No one gets wood at Fords.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    I'm never selling the 944
    - and now we wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommytank View Post
    No one gets wood at Fords.
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

I have wood over that picture now

MR2's also have wood if youre confident around lumber.

;)

is there ever a twobrutal thread that stays on topic???

no....just checking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast