thread: Josh's Mk3 VVti 1mz

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    Painting an engine slows a car down, why waste time & effort.
    Also it adds weight. Why take the risk.

:/

Aug 2015
    Warlinghan
    Bollocks! Everyone knows paint on an engine is good for at least 50bhp.
    Glad someone knows what they're talking about! Need to extract all the power I can!

Jul 2005
    Milk and Beans
    Ok, engine bay is soon to be painted and I'm still a little undecided! At first I was thinking, black engine bay with blue bits, but then wasn't sure a black chassis would look good with the rest of the car blue.

I'm now heading towards blue for the engine bay and then a chili/Ferrari red for the engine and accents. What are peoples thoughts? Any colour schemes that stand out and look good?
    Call me old fashioned, but I like engines looking standard. Open the rear lid, if it doesn't jump out at you and looks like it was meant to be there, then you're on the right track.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    Call me old fashioned, but I like engines looking standard. Open the rear lid, if it doesn't jump out at you and looks like it was meant to be there, then you're on the right track.
    Or just a bit lazy..... :)

Dec 2012
    Cleveland Ohio USA
    No way! Paint them! Make it look like you care. They don't have to flashy, but clean and pretty never hurt any engine bay. The 2GR engines just don't look very good, no matter what you do to them. The VVT-I 1MZ's look the best, I think.

Aug 2015
    Warlinghan
    I've made my choice, and yes it will be painted. It's not going to be flashy, it should look subtle but still look like there is something a bit different in there.

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Ok so this is the current engine bay state, all of the "hotwork" has been done, you can see we take out the stock engine lid catch panel, add two rear support bars and reuse the original mounting tabs on the new crossmember. This gives us plenty of engine clearance and no need to alter the engine lid catch.

Also the cam covers and plenum now painted in Joshs choice.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Engine bay resprayed in 8M6

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Jul 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Good choice, match the car. That's what I'd go for. Looks OEM.

Aug 2015
    Warlinghan
    Fantastic! Glad I went for blue now.

•