thread: Alternative Engine Mount

Oct 2008
    NSW, Australia

Icon3 Alternative Engine Mount

Just wanted to share a source of a mount that I found on ebay last year and I believe is probably the best mount we could be using for the custom mounts made for all these crazy conversion we do.

This is a Toyota HJ45 Landcruiser mount.
    It is a solid rubber mount with no holes, unlike the factor MR2 mounts. As it is a solid mount and a physically big rubber mount, I believe it should be significantly more durable then the factory mounts we modify, yet because it is still rubber, it will be less harsh then a polyurethane mount that is available aftermarket. I've bought a couple of these units off ebay for ~$50 aussie (Probably 5 quid for you guys with a currency of real worth :P)

For my AW11 + 1MZ I found it easy to use this mount to work with, even welding directly to it (submerging the rubber part in water while welding to prevent damage to the rubber). My mount is very agricultural, but it's sturdy (missing some addition gusset plates in these photos)

I plan on using 4 of these mounts for my AW11 1MZ race car.

I decided to post this up was that I recently bought an SW20 1MZ with one of Paul's mounts (It's well made mate!), but was a little sad to see half the mount was just a spacer, and I would like to see a lot more rubber mount there instead as I've broken the engine side mount on my AW11 before with just 112RWHP

I dread to consider what a 300RWHP V6 can do to them while out on the track.

Any way, like, subscribe, comment etc etc. :laugh2:

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Nice find on the mount, that will work well for Mk1 swaps.

On the Mk2 there is no need to use a full width mount, it only suspends weight, there is no real torque action on the left and right hanger mounts, they only suspend the engine/gearbox weight..... so the BHP doesn't really come into it.

I have sold hundreds of my mounts all over the world, and to date only had one issue which was the rubber insert "walked" slightly out of its housing by about 5mm because early versions were just a pressed fit, since then the bushes get pinned and cannot move.

I could make a full width version of the mount but it will mean the mount costing more, in my opinion there's just no need with the amount of my mounts currently out there working fine.

If people want a full width version i will make an alteration to the current mount, but it will cost more.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

•