thread: 250 GTO (ish)

Nov 2005
    Liverpool/Manchester

250 GTO (ish)

So I have a hankering at building some sort of kit car, possibly mx5 based. I have been considering the tribute mx250 GTO as a modern retro possibility.

This came up on eBay near me so I thought I'd go and have a look as it potentially would be cheaper to buy one someone has already built. http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/171927647001...D0&_mwBanner=1

Anyway to sum up, it was utterly shite, poorly put together 4 miss matched wheels, interior was ropey, overspray all over the place, wheel liners hanging off, fuel cap badly fitted, no paperwork other than an mot, boot badly fitted and to top it off the engine wouldn't start.

I'm thinking it's going to be better to build my own....

Nov 2008
    London
    Go for it Simon, that is one good looking car and even as a replica it carries bucket loads of kudos and will hold it's price.

MX5s are cheap as chips and fun to hoon, I can't see any reason why not to build your own. :thumbsup:

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Nov 2006
    Sunny Worksop
    Just don't put Ferrari badges on it, sorry one of my pet hates, it's a kitcar replica, don't try making it into something it's not, it least it won't have a plastic engine in the back.

Modern recreation of the 1962 Ferrari GTO .The last one sold for £22M
    Really what has this fact got to do with a Mazda MX5 with a fibreglass body put on?

Nov 2005
    Liverpool/Manchester
    Just don't put Ferrari badges on it, sorry one of my pet hates, it's a kitcar replica, don't try making it into something it's not, it least it won't have a plastic engine in the back.

Really what has this fact got to do with a Mazda MX5 with a fibreglass body put on?
    I fully agree with all of that. It's not a replica. I fancy one with straight through exhaust and wire wheels... Probably a drop top...

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    That is fucking lovely Simon. If you have the garage space, jfdi.

I've still got to sort out a kit with JH Classics for the 2GR.

Incidentally, John is now doing GTO body kits. Might be worth giving him a call, he is a really nice bloke and loves working closely on projects.

Nov 2006
    Sunny Worksop
    I like them for what they are, not for what they are trying to be.

Apr 2012
    Newark, Notts
    decent looking mx5 for sale on imoc at the minute

Nov 2005
    Liverpool/Manchester
    decent looking mx5 for sale on imoc at the minute
    Thanks Chris, realistically I'm not going to embark on a car project until this time next year :-(

Sep 2007
    stockport
    There are quite a few nice mx5 kits out there and loads of tuning potential have a look at this one http://www.widowsportscars.co.uk

Nov 2005
    Liverpool/Manchester
    There are quite a few nice mx5 kits out there and loads of tuning potential have a look at this one http://www.widowsportscars.co.uk
    I saw that today, very pretty, tvr-esq almost. However it's dear and looks like a lot of work.

•