Thread: 30A under bonnet fuse keeps blowing?

30A under bonnet fuse keeps blowing?

Hi its me again, im having some fun with this car

For some weird reason the 30A fuse under the bonnet just keeps blowing. I have probably done something stupid but i thought id ask. The fuse box cover says its a CDS fan fuse but the car will not start and the engine gets no power. I cant personally see an air con fuse (which my car doesnt have anyway) preventing my car from starting.

I have checked the elecrtics i have fettled even to the point of removing the rad fan wiring i have recently installed but the car just eats 30A fuses for fun.

Currently head scratching. Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers lads.

Does the mk1 have the fan in the engine bay like the mk2? It may be seized. If not a live on that circuit is going to earth either as it's wired wrong or a cables damaged.

Does your car have an alarm/immobiliser?

found a couple of things that helped last night, i cut the shroud off the loom and realised it was fan wiring as it didnt go far. I think I have overloaded the circuit running too many fans off one fuse.

This in turn has blown the main fuse also. My car now starts again but I got fed up last night and went to bed.
    I need to learn more about electrics.

Little trick to try, get a 65W bulb & put it across the fuse terminals instead of the fuse, with a little load on it will glow very very slightly if you get a short it will glow brightly may help you track down your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
    Little trick to try, get a 65W bulb & put it across the fuse terminals instead of the fuse, with a little load on it will glow very very slightly if you get a short it will glow brightly may help you track down your fault.
    The only problem with that trick is that the fuse is there to protect the wiring, your in effect bypassing the fuse and could subject the wiring to excess current, which could result in not just the bulb glowing brightly :icon_eek:
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

If you've added an extra fan on the circuit it needs to be done using a relay setup anything else is a bodge waiting to set your car on fire