thread: Front mounted oil cooler on a mk 1.6

May 2015
    Preston
    I could try a wing mounted one. I'd just like someone to tell me if running a Front mounted one would cause a dangerous drop in pressure or not. I suppose if I doubled the size of the pipe it would halve the press drop.

Nov 2006
    Sunny Worksop
    I'm not sure that that is logical, this could be total bullshit but it's just my ramblings, if you increase the size of the pipe then to maintain the pressure the pump would have to work harder due to the increase in volume, it might be counter intuitive but you may have to reduce the pipe size. As said I have no experience in this so it would be best to get advice from somebody who actually knows what they are talking about. I suppose you could run multiple oil pressure gauges, one at back, one at front & ensure they read the same.

Jun 2015
    Northants
    I'm not sure that that is logical, this could be total bullshit but it's just my ramblings, if you increase the size of the pipe then to maintain the pressure the pump would have to work harder due to the increase in volume, it might be counter intuitive but you may have to reduce the pipe size. As said I have no experience in this so it would be best to get advice from somebody who actually knows what they are talking about. I suppose you could run multiple oil pressure gauges, one at back, one at front & ensure they read the same.
    Correct AFAIK

Got a HNC in hydraulics and thermofluids just wish I listened more :D
    Last edited by Race Systems; 26-08-2015 at 16:50.

Jun 2015
    Northants
    The bit about bigger pipe less pressure that is

May 2015
    Preston
    Haha, I got a HND in aeronautical Engineering, just wished Id listened more too!!

Cheers chaps.

Jan 2008
    Belper, Derbyshire
    Haha I failed my HND in Aeronautical Engineering... passed one module.. me stupid.

Jun 2015
    Northants
    I only passed!

There must be a formula you can use. There is one for water in pipes where we size pipes according to a pd of 300pa per metre

Sep 2010
    Hadleigh essex
    Calculating the pressure drop in a pipe is not easy a lot of information is needed. Information here: http://www.engineersedge.com/fluid_f...alculation.htm

good site actually lots of information on everything engineering.

probably the easiest is to measure pressure drop across a section of the pipe you intend to use.
    Still think that a water/oil cooler bny the engine would be the best solution, running oil pipes to the front of the car is just increasing the risk of failure/damage to the oil circuit.

Apr 2011
    Hertfordshire
    Hi mate.
    Sorry for the late reply.
    I had exactly the same problem and dilema .... although my engine is a 4ag 20v it still had really high oil temperature on track ....
    I have the factory mountes oil/water cooler but that doesnt seem to do much
    Tryed mounted a big oil rad next to gearbox with a fan on top but oil still got too warm.

In the end I got an electric oil pump (there are a few on ebay design to suck excess oil from turbocharger) and welded 2 JIC connections in the sump with 1/2 inch hose all the way to a front mounted 19 row oil cooler.
    1 of the JIC connections is low down in the sump and the oil pump sucks oil from it, for the return JIC connection I actually used the same "sump hole" as the one previously used by the original oil/water cooler....
    This way I can turn it on and off when I want and it does not affect the main oil system in any way.
    The electric oil pump has its own oil circuit and does not have any influence on the engine oil circuit ....
    The electric oil pump is very noisy but I only turn it on when at the track and although its noisy its not as noisy as a 4ag above 6Krpm :D
    I am very happy with this solution

It also makes it easy for oil changes, to remove the old oil from the radiator all I have to do is turn on the pump :)

•