thread: Front mounted oil cooler on a mk 1.6

May 2015
    Preston

Front mounted oil cooler on a mk 1.6

I have read a few threads on oil coolers but no answer to my specific question.

I am thinking about a front mounted oil cooler on my 1MZ-FE supercharged.
    The Charger is oil cooled and I will be tracking the car.

If I use a thermostatic sandwich plate and oil press/temp gauges to ensure my oil doesn’t get over 110deg on track will I cause oil pressure problems with the long lines that are going to have to obviously go from the back of the block through the firewall of the car, into the cabin and out of the front of the car to the cooler?

Would lines this long reduce oil pressure significantly enough to cause damage to the car? Oil pressure is as important as oil temperature with an oil system I realise, and the last thing I want to do is fit a “safety” feature to the car that does more harm than good.

I cant use the side vent for cooling as my rad for my charge cooler is in there.
    So its either top mount or front mount and I dont really want an oil cooler on my roof!

It will also be used on road, so another question is what are the probability of stone damage?

Any help appreciated.

Nov 2006
    Sunny Worksop
    Don't know the answer to the above questions, but is there space at the side of the gearbox to mount it with a scoop from under the car directing air onto it?

May 2015
    Preston
    Could do I suppose but its still pretty hot in there and there is very minimal space remaining.

Could do with the question of the long lines and drop in oil pressure answering as I think that is most important.

Sep 2010
    Hadleigh essex
    Could you use a oil to water cooler, using the charge cooler water circuit.
    Something like this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TVR-Tuscan...item419ad81911

if placed in the water flow before the charge cooler radiator it shouldn't impact on charge temperature

Jul 2005
    Milk and Beans
    The know the MK1 already has an oil to water cooler on the firewall?
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

May 2015
    Preston
    on the 1mz-fe? I havnt seen anything.

Jul 2005
    Milk and Beans
    On the vehicle, not the engine.

Originally you'd have had something like this on the bulkhead

418615059_o.jpg

May 2015
    Preston
    Pretty sure there's nothing there now.

May 2015
    Preston
    Would long pipes cause a larger drop in pressure do we think?

Jul 2005
    Milk and Beans
    Possibly...

Why not just use either a MK1 cooler, or go for a wing mounted one, replacing the engine fan for something smaller?

•