Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help! Done some welding now my car won't start!

okay, for some reason i was mixing this car up with the Mk2 SC/ Derp. In which case your relays will be in the boot i guess.

I've never done a Mk1 V6 swap, so I'm not sure what you will have in the way of relays etc. Basically if you can find a relay (and its related to the engine systems) test it or swap it around with another (same) one.

c.

Tested all of them now mate.

They all seem to work. They click anyway.

Car is going to a local autolecky today as I have done all the basic tests and can't find an issue as to why the engine isn't getting fuel or spark, which is still making me think I have cooked the ECU. But this bloke seems to know what he is doing so hopefully he will fix it or at least give me an indication of what I have frazzled with the welder :(

Thanks for your help though.

I'll post back as to what the issue is once we get to the bottom of it.
    Ash

Help! Done some welding now my car won't start!

Ok. Some progress.

This has made me look like a wally as I just pushed the car out of my garage and to the end of the drive for the recovery guy to come and pick it up.

The car started.

I cancelled the recovery truck.

Went to put the car back in the garage. Bumped it up the kerb to get it in.

Car wouldn't start again.

Re-booked an angry recovery man.

Felt like a tool.

But at least I haven't cooked my ECU.

Seems like an intermittent fault with some form of wiring so it's still going to the garage. I don't do wires!

God damn car. [emoji30]

lol. that is fucking awesome.

Now I'm thinking that you've disturbed an earth somewhere. Easy test (if youre bored waiting for Mr Angry) - test continuity between the chassis and various items like ECU, heads, block, gearbox, etc etc.

c.

Take it from me, chasing a wiring gremlin is often more miserable than starting over on a complete re-wire. I hope your small issue is found without too much trouble, Chasing wires sucks. Bad.

ahh sack that, I'm not chasing any wires anywhere! I hate the bloody things.
    I don't do wires. It's gone to the clever bloke with the mechatronics degree.

Ill just pays my monies once she is fixed. Haha.

I was thinking it was an earth, he will find it though.
    At least it's not mega frazzled though. Coulda been worse!

Link G4 - £900
    Re-map on dyno - £400
    KY jelly £6

For a good shafting melt your fragile ECU components with a fuckton of voltage, for everything else there's MasterCard....

Lol least you haven't frazzled your sense of humour :-)

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    If it makes you feel any better i did it once on a VW golf about 20 years ago, spiked the ECU because i was lazy and didn't disconnect the battery..... therein lies the lesson folks, disconnect the battery.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Thank goodness I had my kill switch - OFF.

If it makes you feel any better Paul, if id have been welding 20 years ago, my dad would have probably grounded me.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    No that just makes me feel old as fuck.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast