Thread: Car wont start after fitted new dash? Horn fuse keeps blowing??

Car wont start after fitted new dash? Horn fuse keeps blowing??

Hi all, firstly id like to start by saying I don't do electrics. I bloody hate them in fact.

Fitted a new (flocked) dash to the car and upon re-installation my car wont start now. It actually seems to be the immobiliser as the battery certainly isn't dead however there is nothing, not even a click upon turning the key. Everything all fires up, but the car doesn't even turn over.

However the other thing is; the 10a horn fuse in the fuse box under the frunk keeps blowing whenever I go to fire the ignition too. I'm wondering if it has something to do with this?

I'm going to have to get an auto electrician out eventually if I cant fix it. Even though it is probably something really quite simple.

I should also add I was trying to wire in an ebay bought "S2000 style push button start" to the car at the time I noticed it wouldn't start. I have ever so slightly cut into two wires behind the ignition barrel (as per the instructions on the push button start) to splice this in. Even with the start button completely disconnected now though the car wont start at all.

Its deffo immobiliser but does this blown horn fuse mean anything? Would that prevent my car from starting?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Ash

The horn fuse, shouldn't have anything to do with it, but that being said, who knows what has happened in there. Diagrams will show what is also on that horn circuit. You need to get a multimeter and start checking for power. Make sure it's going to the right places when you hit the key. Put everything back the way it was before you started messing with the push button and start checking. It's something you've done and it is most likely simple.

Do you get ignition lights?

If so will the car start / turn over if you apply 12v to the starter solenoid?

If it starts then you've either buggered the starter relay (green jobby in the boot behind the carpet next to the ECU) or you've successfully severed a start wire.

Other things to check are the immobiliser itself. Have you disturbed it during dash swap, or maybe missed an earth connection?

Have you trapped a wire in the dash, which might cause the short etc.

C.