Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's a Closer Look at the Maserati Video

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here's a Closer Look at the Maserati Video

Right now the car is in what they call "Base Map" so it's not really "limp mode" but it is at significantly reduced power. According to the manual on the engine.
    Geoffmunt just posted a link from someone on here called Race Systems and it seems like what Goldy does with paddle shifters, or did do at one time at least.

I am going to look into shifting this car that way because if it comes out of base map and I get to select when it does what I want it to do? Holy crap that makes this thing much much cooler.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to find a third Hemi Durango vehicle (We have two already but we want to keep them intact) so I can use it for a donor vehicle for the next build.

Have a closer look at the Black wheels, black dash "only does good burnouts in the grass" V8 Maserati:

Last edited by Grenade; 23-07-2015 at 14:23.

I made some adjustments to the video.

Where's the 'Like' button when you need it.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Quote Originally Posted by Grenade View Post
    :thumbsup:

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Yep, it's a stand alone system and I'm not starting from scratch on the wiring. Nice guy, cool product but it's not worth the aggravation.

Learned a bunch of lessons from this one, I did.

The Maserati has been sold.

I got all the money I put in back, less 200 bucks.

The guy that bought it has 9 of these Biturbos. He wants to copy what I've done but he also wants to put in current, Quattraporte Maserati V8's with GM rear ends. He offered me a job, but I can't relocate my family, we're moving to a little bigger house next month and that deal is 90% done. I politely declined the offer and they bought the car. He is coming to pick it up personally in a week or two. They own several large business in the Carolinas and he has 40+ cars. Super nice guy and said he's been following the Retro Rides thread from the very beginning. (oh boy, that means he's seen all the cheesy videos too)
    All in all, I lost money and time. Would I do it again?
    You bet your ass I would.

And I will....

cant buy that kind of entertainment for $200....that's less that $10 a week I suppose...couple of video rentals and a bag of popcorn, much rather play with a car for that kind of money:)

even with the troubles, cheaper than classes on auto repair...lol
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!

That was one of the best classes in troubleshooting electronics and building a loom, pounding out a floor pan, scabbing on a brake system, making engine & tranny mounts, exhaust from another car, full paint and bodywork, re-hanging doors and welding hinges, building a fuel system and a dashboard with power windows and turn signals that I have ever attended.

As I said- I'm a better mechanic because of this place. It was great, many lessons learned.
    1. I whine a lot
    2. I know just enough about wiring to be dangerous
    3. Manual transmissions are worth the money
    4. Projects like this should have a CNC machine and at a bare minimum a metalworking Lathe
    5. Projects this involved deserve a bigger budget.
    6. Get a bigger budget or scale down project
    7. Swaps require a running, driving donor vehicle for simplification

It was absolutely fun, but the roller-coaster at the end was enough to work anyone's last nerve. The attention it got, was stellar. Over 100,000 views on all the combined sites and forums. Did it ultimately produce anything beyond attention alone? Nah, but now when someone thinks of doing one of those cars, anywhere in the world, they'll find that someone has already done it...#PaulSport 2015... I only specialize in Maserati Biturbos with Lexus engines. Pssshhh! That sounds stupid even to me! hahaha

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Congrats on the sale, although a little part of me wanted to see it reach its full potential and have the limp mode sorted, do you think he will report back when it's fixed or maybe a video?

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast