12345612 ...

thread: Automatic Transmissions. !!#$%*&$%!!!

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I don't i'm afraid Goldy, but what i would do is get a set of LS400 clocks, and just wire up the speedo part behind the dash, it will have four terminals on it....

1. 12v ignition power
    2. Ground
    3. Speedo signal in from gearbox sender
    4. Speedo signal 5v out for ECU

It should be easy to do that, i did it on a V6 Mr2 i had with Astra digital clocks fitted in a Mk1, the speedo head just runs behind the dash but returns the correct speed signal to the ECU.

I feel your pain though Paul, this is why i fucking hate Autos, overly complicated, slow and unreliable power stranglers.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Nov 2005
    Liverpool/Manchester
    I'm going to have a look at what electronics I've got in my shed, I might be able to make up a simple converter.

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I'm also betting any Toyota speedo head will do, doesn't have to be an LS400 one, that should make it easier.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Nov 2005
    Liverpool/Manchester
    I've got a few bits in my box that I can use. If anyone is interested this is what I'm going to put together for Paul. The only issue I can see is that I have an inverted output and it would be better with a schmitt output to reduce noise, but I don't have any other suitable bits to hand.

Paul I've sent you a pm for your address :-)

Dec 2012
    Cleveland Ohio USA
    Yes, I have the STA and NSW wires connected as is the Toyota diagram, from the book. Actually- I didn't do anything really, they're just in the loom that way. I was giving them power or grounding them, by just adding a jumper form either one.
    Turns out they are already doing what they're supposed to, but if that's the case- it shouldn't start in any gear. Some guy from Texas wants to trade me a rust free E30 and a bunch of extra parts. I might just do it.

I'm going riding moto today, screw this thing.

Nov 2005
    Liverpool/Manchester

I'll get this in the post to you tomorrow it should hopefully convert your 12V gearbox signal to 5V ecu SPD signal.

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    Will that stop him pouting?

That diagram that the Russian Mafia sent you - all that really does is deny the starter relay a ground if the gear selector isn't in N or P.

Or just don't start it up in gear!

Come on mate, this is tweaking now, nearly there.

:)

Dec 2012
    Cleveland Ohio USA
    Clenches fists and stomps up and down crying for his mommy. Hahaha- seriously, all day today at the track I was like "I hate that car" lol then I would jump something and say things like, oh, it's not that bad, we'll figure it out.

Pouting is my specialty. Well, that and whining. I just needed a little break- I'll get back on it in a day or two.

Thanks Goldy, that will be sweet if the device you made tricks it into thinking there's a dash cluster. That's a bit beyond my understanding.

I don't care that it starts in gear, that doesn't bother me. I was under the impression that NSW and STA wire had something to do with the way it shifts. If not- then shit yeah, I don't care one bit about it starting in gear.

The thing about the starter relay being denied a ground, I don't know how to connect it like that.
    I have a starter relay. I made it my starter relay, It's from an MK2 actually, but all 4 pin relays are the same. You have one 12V pin, one ground pin and when you energize it, the other two pins are continuous or have continuity, with whatever you've connected to it. In my case, when I energize my starter relay, the continuity pins are 12v.
    How do I make the NSW wire disconnect the relay's ground? Don't earth it to the chassis, see if it will earth with the indicator switch on the trans? But when I check volts on both NSW and STA, after main power is switched on, they both have 12V. If I stick one of those wires to the chassis, shit gets hot, real fast.
    Not sure how to make this circuit properly function.

If Goldy's device (and thank you sire for that, big time) solves the shift issue then Yeehaw this thing's done.

Apr 2012
    Newark, Notts
    As cool as goldy is for making you a magic box it would be infinitely easier to just go get the ls400 speedometer head. You only need the circuit board off the back so can ditch the face and needle it would likely fit into a small plastic box a couple of inches big then you know your getting the correct signal

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    Yep so 2 issues here. If I read it correctly.

The fact it starts in gear - basically the start inhibitor switch you wire up so that it controls the ground. Think of it in basic terms.

If gearbox = PARK or gearbox = Neutral then ground = Yes.

Without a ground pin, the starter won't start. And if the gearbox is in a drive gear, the ground pin on the starter is an open circuit.

The other issue is your shifts. Go get a set of clocks and do what Simon Says. Lol. Hey that's pretty good. :)

C.

12345612 ...

•